MANUAL OWNERS: Show me your less-than stock shifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thinking about getting an 8 ball shifter for the classic hot rod look, any tips or places where these can be bought. Also anyone else have less-than stock shifters Id like to see them.:burnout:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
First...How do you get that MFT @#$^&* factory shifter knob off? I have plans, damnit!

I've been looking for an aftermarket shifter since the day after I got my '97. NV3500. Only co. that ever made 'em was B&M/Hurst, (same co.) They haven't made 'em in years. Jeeps also came with NV3500's. I've come across a couple of the 'Hurst' shifters for those, but no-one has been able to tell me if that shifter will fit a GMT400. With or without mods.
There is a co. that is, 'apparently' reproducing the Hurst shifter for these trucks w/NV3500. They even say 'Hurst' up the arm. (I think I could live with that!) I've been in contact with them several times & what was supposed to be on the market 6mo.s ago, is still on hold, due to an outsourced co. making a specific part, which hasn't happened, yet.
The B&M/Hurst shifter is supposed to reduce the throw by 30%. It has a plate that raises the pivot point, shortening the throw. I've heard of some guys modding the factory shifter to achieve the same effect. I've never seen a modded one, or found a 'How-to'. Anyone else?
Someone has one (or 2, or 3. Maybe a case of 'em!) out there on a shelf collecting dust somewhere. One found in a wrecker. Unknown aftermarket one bought at a swap meet. They're out there, somewhere. I've even got the part no.'s to check. I WANT it!!! I have the $$$!!! & (&,&,&!!!) I haven't even asked how much! This is at the very top of my 'parts I need' list!
I hate the factory POS!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've seen guys at carshows & swap meets selling very cool shifter balls. From the traditional ones, to ones made of semi-precious rocks (Smoothed & polished, of course) Ones with cartoons (Betty Boop, Taz, etc) Eight balls, too. Try a google search.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah Im sick of the factory one also, I know it unscrews at the boot and I could possibly get an extension for it with a threaded top?? Either way that ********* thing sticking out of the floor needs to be replaced.....

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Wow I've been looking for one for quite some time now aswell to no avail. I just want something to thread on to the base and call er a day.. and agreed, the ********* protruding from the floor is not an ideal look or feel :\