New member, long time Suburban owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNWMike

Reaction score
Greetings!

I'm a long time owner of a 1999 Suburban K1500 and recently discovered this site as part of ordering a set of Arteb headlights to improve on the dreadful factory headlights, recommended to me by Daniel Stern of https://www.danielsternlighting.com/.

I've attached a few pictures of my Suburban. She is still running a stock drivetrain as the old skool 350/4L60E combo and a manual transfer case, and just keeps chugging along without complaint - IIRC, it's up around 230K or so and shows no signs of stopping any time soon. As you can see in the pictures, I've added a grill guard and lights which helped a ton with night time visibility, although I don't have them wired up and working at the moment while I try to figure out a better mounting solution for the switches. I've also installed some auxiliary back up lights, a bigger alternator, along with a dual din radio and some improved speakers, and tinted the front door windows, but that's about it for mods.

She is my go-to workhorse for towing, hauling stuff around out of the weather, and for hauling around large groups of people (as long as I remember to dig the third row seat out of my shed and install it). Everything works as the factory intended, even the rear heat AC, except for the driver's heated seat which gave up a few years back. The only real issues I've had beyond typical wear items are a nagging high speed (>60mph) front end vibration I've been slowly chasing and improving on ever since I bought her and a rear axle that needed to be rebuilt a few years back - it self destructed in a rather spectacular fashion.

If the engine or trans ever have any major issues, I've got dreams and ideas for a 6.0/4L80E LS swap, but it's hard to justify taking the downtime and messing with the truck when it's been such a reliable workhorse for me - it's usually the vehicle hauling around me and my stuff for other projects! :)

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, from Houston, Texas. I also have a '99 Burb but mine is a 2wd. Does have the 5.7/4L60E which has been pretty reliable till last month. Mine has 216K on it.

PNWMike

Reaction score
Thank you all for the friendly welcome!

I did forget to mention the most recent mod I did... a steering wheel + clockspring swap from a 2002 Escalade to get the radio control buttons. I used an Axxess ASWC-1 interface box to get the buttons working with my Pioneer radio. Other than some pretty basic wiring work to get power and such to the buttons and swap some terminals in the connectors at the airbag, and needing to clean the buttons with a good contact cleaner, it works well and looks right at home as the buttons have the same general style as my era Suburban.