New K2500 Suburban owner here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedVenom48

Reaction score
Recent lurker and new owner of a 1996 GMC K2500 454 Suburban. Thought Id stop by and say hi. I was originally trying to find a GMT800 8.1 K2500 but those were unicorns and if one popped up it was gone before I could make contact with the owner. Had a family event occur that reduced the available funding and I started to look at the GMT400s.

I wish I could say shes a gem, but shes a little rough inside. The 454 however seems to be very stout. The 4L80 trans is in limp mode at the moment. Ive got 2nd and reverse with no codes so trying to get my head wrapped around the problem.

She's a restored salvage Arizona truck. I initially didnt want to look at the truck after I found the brand in the carfax. But I decided why the hell not. Glad I did cause while it needs love, the frame and body are straight, the engine is strong and ZERO RUST. I can not for the life of me find a single thing wrong with the frame or body indicating it was hit. Carfax didn go into detail, just that it was issue a salvage restored title. The right side of the body looks like it got assaulted at a golf driving range (a number of small dents) , so maybe the estimate to fix that through insurance totaled it? Its not bad and a couple weekends as an amatuer paintless dent remover may fix it.

She was sold new at a now long gone dealer here in Glendale, AZ. It looks like it lived in this city most of its life too. Lots of solid repair records via carfax. Was sold off to owner #2 after nearly 25 years of ownership from the original owner. Owner#2 sold it 3 months later to the folks I bought it from. I think a large portion of the interior filth and dilapidation was from Owner #3 letting their son and daughter in law use it as a family vehicle. Clearly, they didnt care enough to keep it nice. Oh well, my gain!

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheerful envious zero rust greetings from upstate NY!

If you are thinking that your new ride isn't photogenic, not to
worry, we have a wide range of GMT400s in here, and there's
something unique & interesting to each one.

I understand completely if you want to wait on the interior shots, but
rust-free outside/underneath photos always brighten my day up here
in the rust belt. :)

I think you'll find this forum a bright spot on the internet, thanks to a
shared appreciation of these form follows function machines.

Welcome!

montana85

Reaction score
Never posted here before, though a wealth of info for the "mid-life" overhaul of my 184k miles K2500/8600 GVW (1 tn) GMC Suburban. Other than tearing down the engine or tranny... I've done a tremendous amount of mid-life refitting. If I can assist, or give tips, on anything... I'll consider if my opinion/advice is WORTHY of being considered that of an "educated/experienced" shade tree mechanic. I will NOT be retiring my 27yo Suburban anytime soon!