I Want 700

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So... bump compression to 10.something to 1, nice intake, more lift say .650? and more duration. Then hope it holds together past 6k! And if you break it so what its only metal not like it has feelings.

RedLeader289

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's an awful lot of BS in this thread, getting kinda deep in here. There are naturally aspirated bigblocks putting out this kind of power all over the place. 700 horses out of a 500cid mill is not radical. It's about 1.5 horses per cube, which translated into smallblock numbers is around 500 horses out of a 350. Proper machine work and balancing, great port and chamber work on a good set of heads, the proper camshaft, the right induction setup, and you're there. Oh, and you don't need a blower or turbo either. Pay to play is the name of the game. How fa$t do you want to go? http://vortecpro454.com/#xl_xr_page_engines

No one said there weren't NA bbc's that will reach 700+ hp.

The OP asked what it would take to get a 502 crate engine to 700 hp. The answers have ranged from forced induction to custom build, all of which have touched on the fact that it would take a large sum of money.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
No one said there weren't NA bbc's that will reach 700+ hp.

The OP asked what it would take to get a 502 crate engine to 700 hp. The answers have ranged from forced induction to custom build, all of which have touched on the fact that it would take a large sum of money.

Do you feel better now?

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
There's an awful lot of BS in this thread, getting kinda deep in here. There are naturally aspirated bigblocks putting out this kind of power all over the place. 700 horses out of a 500cid mill is not radical. It's about 1.5 horses per cube, which translated into smallblock numbers is around 500 horses out of a 350. Proper machine work and balancing, great port and chamber work on a good set of heads, the proper camshaft, the right induction setup, and you're there. Oh, and you don't need a blower or turbo either. Pay to play is the name of the game. How fa$t do you want to go? http://vortecpro454.com/#xl_xr_page_engines
I hope you are not referring to me, I do my research to back my statements. I rather go naturally aspirated, engines generally last longer that way. But getting the power you want for naturally aspirated sometimes requires some cash unless you are lucky to get the parts used. Sometimes the cheapest way is boost. Unless you go wild with it then you will be spending the money for a good bottom end to support the boosted application.

You can get a small block to act like a big block, sure. but if you do the same for a bb as you did for a sb your torque would be much greater. You will also use more fuel for the cubes. But then again there is weight of the vehicle it is going in. Fuel economy and power are related. I noticed that a V6 uses more fuel than a 350 V8. The V6 is maxed out all the time to get the truck to move while the 350 maybe at half its max. But then there is too much engine for what you need. But then where is the fun in that?

You have to know what you want and plan the combination out. I wanted more power with better fuel econ. LS swap was the answer to me. My 5.3 has more power and torque than my TBI 350. But the 5.3 is pulling around a Crew Cab vs. my single cab with the 350. But the 350 burns the back tires off the back. Again the vehicle it is in has a lot to do with what engine gets the best fuel econ and power for the vehicle you have it in. My 350 has 212 hp @4000 rpm with 300 lb-ft @ 2300 rpm. The 5.3L gets 315 HP @ 5300 rpm and 335lb-ft @ 4000 rpm. The 350 gets its power earlier than the 5.3L. It will take off faster and pull a little harder in the beginning. The 5.3L gets its peak torque much later. The 5.3L takes longer to get moving but with its peak much higher it is more fuel efficient. I found that this is in your heads and intake that control this. Here is a link to what I am talking about: https://www.powernationtv.com/episode/EP2014-10/iron-animal-part-2-flow-bench-testing-heads

What I am doing with my LQ4 is generating close to constant peak torque throughout the HP range. Therefore, creating something that pulls hard all the time and as I lower my RPMs I will gain fuel econ while towing. Also it gives me a little fun when I go to the track with it when they call tow rigs to compete.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meow, because I want more low-midrange power I should go with a shorter duration cam. Is that going to limit my horsepower goal?
I'm thinking of hydraulic roller-tappet lifters and roller rocker arms (not sure what ratio yet).

There's a 502 ram jet advertised on jegs that I like with .527 intake lift/.544 exhaust and 224 degrees intake duration/234 exhaust.
Is that on the short or long duration side?

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for trolling my post. Very useful information. It's all so clear to me now.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
You say you want to use your truck to cruise, and rarely, if ever go to the track. In my opinion, the best thing to do is to cater your engine build around the intended use of the vehicle. Building that high HP engine is going to result in some trade offs on low RPM torque and manners, which is very important in a street driven vehicle. What trans are you using? What about rear end gearing?

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
4l80 or 4l85e. No idea about rear end gearing as i dont know much of anything about them.

And that's what I started thinking...can I not get that horsepower goal if I'm not going to be driving 200mph everywhere?

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Thanks for trolling my post. Very useful information. It's all so clear to me now.

I'm going to flip the script on you bruh. It's like you're trolling this site; the thread is only about as clear as your mind is with this 700 horse motor you're imagining for your truck.

This site is great because of the collaborative nature of it man. The majority of the users on this site have the ability to SELF-INFORM (a.k.a. "learn") and then ask questions about what they don't understand. I don't see a whole lot of that going on here. You want a 700 horse motor, but you want to buy a crate 502 that doesn't make 700 horses. Now you're not sure if you do because you won't be going 200 mph everywhere.
Get some books by David Vizard and read a little. Inform yourself and ask some informed, educated questions. I'm giving you good, sound advice. You can't just ask the internet questions and expect to get the right answers all the time. Sometimes you have to do it the old fashion way and put in some effort yourself.

Here's a hint. You should want TORQUE, not horsepower.