How to paint it CHEAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
spray paint works, but usually ONLY if you get some mixed at the body shop supply store.

If not then check on a cheap spray gun and some single stage, it'll work good and a quart could get it done. We used a quart of black and did a squarebody truck (86 4x4 chevy short bed) both complete bedsides, both doors and both fenders from the top body line down, and a cab visor and had some left over, did several coats with it too.

kyle8595

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
spray paint works, but usually ONLY if you get some mixed at the body shop supply store.

If not then check on a cheap spray gun and some single stage, it'll work good and a quart could get it done. We used a quart of black and did a squarebody truck (86 4x4 chevy short bed) both complete bedsides, both doors and both fenders from the top body line down, and a cab visor and had some left over, did several coats with it too.

What kind of single stage did you use? Is it orange peel looking?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
doesn't matter if any of it orange peels you can wetsand and buff it out.

ours didn't and we sprayed it in the front yard.

I've used dupoint centari and limco single stage.

I'm using limco supreme base plus or something like that on my truck it's 2 stage.

ONLY going 2 stage because mines metalic and I want to clear over it to lock in the flake and have it right, then wet sand and buff it to perfection.

kyle8595

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
doesn't matter if any of it orange peels you can wetsand and buff it out.

ours didn't and we sprayed it in the front yard.

I've used dupoint centari and limco single stage.

I'm using limco supreme base plus or something like that on my truck it's 2 stage.

ONLY going 2 stage because mines metalic and I want to clear over it to lock in the flake and have it right, then wet sand and buff it to perfection.

Alright thanks. I might go with that. Did you still have to sand to bare metal

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nope. scuff the thing up with 400 or 600 wet, if there's no chips, or scratches you want out, then wipe down with some grease and wax remover, and a tack rag after or before, or both.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
man just wetsand that front clip and reshoot but be sure to blend it into the doors. If its done right you should never be able to tell. There is know way your gonna match new white with aged white.

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
I painted a door on my old s10 blazer with some thinned down rustoleum and a harbor freight gravity feed spray gun I got for $10. Looked exactly like the factory paint and I saw it a month or so ago and it still looked just as good after 4-5 years.

Just an idea cause you could do a front clip easily for $50 like that.

Driver door is what I painted.

You must be registered for see images attach

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
spray cans will be very costly...you are better off buying the paint and gun...learn how to do it..pactice makes perfect...back in the day...i did a couple out in the open...came out ok

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
spray cans mixed are only like $15 a can to $21 or so a can and two would be plenty. we did both bedsides on an s-10 with one can couple coats too.