Help. Did I just overfill my rearend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boulky12

Reaction score
So I decided to check the rear end fluid on my daily 90 swb. I removed the plug on the side and no fluid came out, so i thought, why not fill her up till the fluid starts coming out (how i've done it before).

I put in about 2 quarts and plugged it back up, thinking damn it mustve been pretty low? But I've put about 2000 miles on the truck since I've owned it and if it was that low wouldn't it have blown up by now? And theirs never been any howling or noises coming from the rear end i just decided to check for the hell of it.

So did I overfill it and is my rear end going to blow up on the highway tomorrow @ 6 am in the morning headed to school, from too much pressure? lol

Id really appreciate some help on this. Thanks.

Truck is a 2wd 1500 swb.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
1. You filled it exactly correctly, up to the level of the plug.

2. It has a vent on it for a reason, no pressure is built in the rearend.

3. It didn't blow up because most things will last a long time with very spotty maintenance. I bet the original owner never checked it. Not that this is the ok thing to do, but people neglect vehicles constantly.

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You say you added 2 quarts? I hope your prepared to replace a rear end.

Fluid capacity on a 10 bolt rear is 2.1 quarts, that brings it to within 1/2" of the fill plug.

That diff was damn near empty. I hope its okay, but I personally wouldn't have high hopes.

Boulky12

Reaction score
1. You filled it exactly correctly, up to the level of the plug.

2. It has a vent on it for a reason, no pressure is built in the rearend.

3. It didn't blow up because most things will last a long time with very spotty maintenance. I bet the original owner never checked it. Not that this is the ok thing to do, but people neglect vehicles constantly.

Awesome man. That makes me feel a lot better. Thank You!

Boulky12

Reaction score
You say you added 2 quarts? I hope your prepared to replace a rear end.

Fluid capacity on a 10 bolt rear is 2.1 quarts, that brings it to within 1/2" of the fill plug.

That diff was damn near empty. I hope its okay, but I personally wouldn't have high hopes.

Easy.. I havent even driven it like this yet. So I should drain it all and just add 2 quarts?

Boulky12

Reaction score
Were you driving it regularly before to top up?

I dont exactly know what your asking but it bought this truck about 3 months ago. I put about 2000 miles on it and never checked the diff fluid cause it never really required attention. Always ran good. I just decided to check the fluid for good measure.

So is it even possible to over fill on these?

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You filled to the hole, you did it right. But based on what you have said, you have drove the truck approx 2000 miles with hardly any gear oil in the rear diff, and who knows how many miles the previous owner drove it it like this.

The capacity of that diff is 2.1 quarts. You say you added nearly 2 quarts.

If it was going to go bang, it probably already would have. At least you addressed the issue now. But as I said earlier, I wouldn't have high hopes of this rear end lasting as it was nearly empty on gear oil for who knows how long.

If it does go bang, 10 bolts are fairly in expensive to get at a wreckers, and an easy job to swap out.

Boulky12

Reaction score
No, it's fine as is, idk how you could go over the level of the fill plug anyway.

Yeah thats what i was thinking, but then i found some stuff about rear ends holding too much pressure?

But thanks man.