Need Help Decoding My Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Majoraslayer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was cleaning up my block to get ready to reinstall my TBI heads, and decided to scrape the paint off the pad in front of the passenger head so I could document the numbers. What I found looks like someone with stamps was drunk. The stamping number looks to be original to the block, everything else looks like it might have been added later (possibly by a machine shop). When I bought the engine several years ago I was told it was a 350 pulled from a 1995 truck, but this makes me wonder about the true history of the block. At the time I installed it I didn't really run any of the numbers. I had a lot of other stuff going on at the same time, and since it had all of the 350 TBI stuff on it I just threw it in and it seemed to run fine at the time. I'll say my eyesight isn't the best, but I swear I'm reading TRA in that code, and the reference guide on NastyZ28 lists that as a 1972 307 out of a C10 or C20. Aside from when the intake or head gasket blew (still not sure which) it ran pretty good until recently, with a 350-tuned ECM and 350 TBI heads. Obviously everything else attached to it was for a 350 TBI as well.

Is it possible I've been running a 307 block this entire time, and someone just swapped all of their 350 TBI stuff onto it? I need someone to check me on this.

EDIT: It gets weirder, I have provisions for a roller cam spider. Is that even possible in a 307? I can't reach the back to check the casting number there at the moment, but will check when possible.

Attachments

• 20240206_144753.jpg
    20240206_144753.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Majoraslayer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
UPDATE: The area near the bellhousing does indeed read 5.7LG, so it should be a 350. So what are these numbers?

EDIT AGAIN: So, fun fact, the NastyZ28 site may be a bit incomplete. The Lime Book lists about 4 entries for TRA, one of which is for an '89 350 TBI with manual transmission. That makes a lot more sense.

Just so this thread isn't a complete waste, here's a link to where I found it so it might help the next guy.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Who knows, there may be machine shop over stamps
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach