Havoc's '98 Z71 Build!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Lol takes up my bed when I'm 25+ miles away from my house. I haven't decided if I'm gonna rock it again. I only got it because it was slightly used for $125 from a friend of a friend
You must be registered for see images

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the tire gate, its very utilitarian...........Hell I like your truck as well.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is a bad *** truck... tire gate looks like something off Mad Max... I think ill be doing the rocker panel liner... What did you do to prep the rocker panels? Like what grit sandpaper or did you scotch brite it if so which scotch brite pads did you use..etc

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol takes up my bed when I'm 25+ miles away from my house. I haven't decided if I'm gonna rock it again. I only got it because it was slightly used for $125 from a friend of a friend

How do you easily and cleanly remove your black trim around the sides of the truck? I see your truck looks very good without it and it will be in the way when I do my rocker panels.

Havoc2004

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

That looks beastly! I was actually thinking about the vertical Tiregate though with the tire on the outside, any thoughts?

Havoc2004

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a bad *** truck... tire gate looks like something off Mad Max... I think ill be doing the rocker panel liner... What did you do to prep the rocker panels? Like what grit sandpaper or did you scotch brite it if so which scotch brite pads did you use..etc

Sorry just saw this. Well the prep for the rocker panels was actually more of removing adhesive that was on the panels from the chrome plates that were covering it. We just peeled the chrome off and used mineral spirits to clean the adhesive off. The panels under the chrome were actually in a bit of rough shape (which I'm assuming is why they covered it up with the chrome) but I believe it was sanded with 320 grit on a block down to the factory paint. That's it really.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry just saw this. Well the prep for the rocker panels was actually more of removing adhesive that was on the panels from the chrome plates that were covering it. We just peeled the chrome off and used mineral spirits to clean the adhesive off. The panels under the chrome were actually in a bit of rough shape (which I'm assuming is why they covered it up with the chrome) but I believe it was sanded with 320 grit on a block down to the factory paint. That's it really.

Well that sounds easy i think im going to leave my side trim on, someone on here made a good point that in parking lots the trim would save your paint if some dingbat hit your truck..plus i like them..

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do i have to sand the side trim or will bedliner spray stick to it.. I think it's a herculiner kit or dupli color

Last edited:

Havoc2004

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do i have to sand the side trim or will bedliner spray stick to it.. I think it's a herculiner kit or dupli color

Not sure on this as I peeled my trim off before liner was applied. I prefer the look of no side trim. I know that's no help but I'm not real sure.

I thought the vertical gate reminds me of how SUVs mount the spare. But it will still look good

See I wasn't fond of how the other ones leaned into the bed and took up bed space but to each their own, your truck still looks incredible.....