GarrettGmc's 94 ecsb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So looking at the wiring going from under the hood to the rear lights there's five wires and 2 of the are yellow, 1 goes back and was cut off, the other is split to both lights. All the blinkers were working before and someone hacked a trailer plug into all the wiring. I cnt find out what the 2nd yellow wire is for. Looked through a wiring diagram but only says one yellow.

You must be registered for see images attach

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gen4 ls engine all the way if you dont mind changing the cam and lifters and paying a little more. Gen 4s will hold more power if you decide you wany more later on.

So to bring this back up real quick ud suggest a Gen IV which would be from 05 to 09 block right? I'm pretty set on the power train I've picked but wanted to find what year truck I could rip a motor from, or would it be best to buy a crate motor then the additional stand alone wiring harness.

Onto the truck, I haven't had much time to work on it, working sick kids trying to save for anniversary trip in june so not much has happen with truck, did sandblast most of the rear of the cab and started welding in the holes but I may leave the bigger hole and use a stepper but to get a more circular hole then use a rubber grommet since I'd like to have a cb and I could run the wire through that hole.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To be honest I'm confused looking them up, there's at least 15 different variations of the ls so I'm been looking at whats a replacement for an 05 and I believe it to be an lm7 which is a cast iron block with aluminum heads whereas the lm4 is same engine but aluminum block but since it wasn't offered in the Silverado I dnt think I can swap that in.

Like I said I'm pretty set on the drivetrain I've picked, now it's just matter of finding out all the pieces ill need so in the meantime I'm gunna try to find a running junkyard motor that I can swap in. Since it supposed to be 80 this weekend I'm gunna focus as much time as I can to the truck. Oh and I've decided on my color combo

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So kinda jumped around working on the truck today starting sandblasting the frame and had a blow out on the hose so had to fix that, after cutting the hose went back to blasting and of course ran out of media, thought I had another 50lb bucket but nope, guess it's alright since I need change the air compressor oil anyways

Then swapped to sanding the cab and stripping it, alot of Bondo so it's taking longer, thought i took pic of the other side which is better looking.

Then tool everything out of the cab, shop vac it then pulled the carpet to find more holes, one of the holes where the passenger seat bolts down to is cracked, there's some bubbling paint which I'm hoping is more then just surface rust but I'll find out.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Hey if you're interested at the yard we have a 2005 5.3 iron block aluminum heads from a 1500 that had 252k. Would need a complete rebuild it was eating oil through the intake but we put in a 2002 5.3 in the 1500 instead. You'd need your own intake and harness though.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya I figured ud have something over there, just still trying to figured out what all I would need to run my choice of trans. I'm gunna give a couple shops a call abt those lm7 and see what some work will cost compared to buying crate. Might also look towards some of the newer ones like what ive got in the 14 burb, lc9, I've grown to like that motor and it's get up an go and with a few additions and my choice of trans I'd be very happy.

Did lil work today just more striping and sanding, taking forever but worth it when I find spots that have surface rust under the Bondo or spots where the Bondo is 2x as thick as it should be. Oh also bought a dent puller to try my hand at fixing my door problem. Need to look at some spray guns

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agian nothing super big and no new parts so sorry to those waiting for some exciment, this is a way for me to keep track of what I did for future reference, but dnt worry ive been writing out some ideas i got, and as mentioned before ive chosen a color combo, take a guess. My eventual motor trans combo is getting narrowed down however I can tell ya my choice of trans means I gotta cut a hole in the floor board:eek:;)
Today more sanding and finally bought some aircraft stripper instead of the ace hardware stuff. So the roof of the cab is almost all the way stripped, if anyone can help me out I need to know how to remove the windows without breaking em, an if I can reuse them or not.
Found some more dents in the roof, looks to be for a pick or something, also it looks like it once had a cab antenna mounted to the roof, hole welded closed then Bondo over. Also removed piece on the edge of the roof, Idk what they're called.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
TWO TONE TWO TONE!!! Please lol

And going with a nv3500 or a T56? If you need clutch pedal assemblies or whatever let me know and I can run them to you next time I go to Redding. I still think you should get a dana 44 in the front of that thing and cut a second hole for a 4x4 shifter lol

Rear side windows are also easy to pop out, just 3 philips screws under each of those caps. Just be careful they strip out super easily.

Last edited:

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I vote two tone, but I’m a little biased. :rockit:

For ththe roof pieces..did they just slide backwards, or is there another trick to removing them?

And from what I’ve seen on the ex cab windows, there is a pin that holds the latch to the cab, drive the pin out, then you should be able to remove the other screws and remove the window. I recommend laying a blanket or towel down just in case it slips though.