GarrettGmc's 94 ecsb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So haven't really done anything, partially sanded parts of the frame and sprayed a bedliner, well I figured out dupli-color bed Armor is ****** compared to the dupli-color bed liner, I thought it was the same but I'm wrong.
Onto the engine, I'm thinking just get a simple rebuild kit, new crank, pistons, cam, undecided on the heads. I'm really wanting to get the truck up and going, it's been slower progress then I was hoping for and miss driving it.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
VORTEC HEADS VORTEC HEADS!!!
Ya ya I kno, but for now just something stock so I can get it on the road then figure out what motor I wanna build
You got any runnin tbi's in the junkyard? Adding up parts list and it's already abt 800 for parts so mayb find used and save some for future motor

NotARealK2500

This'll be my last GMT400, I swear!
Reaction score
Read this start to finish so far, awesome job! Definitely gives me some motivation for working on my c1500.

Note on the transmission breather line - make sure and reroute it to the driver side with some tubing. Pretty sure I recall reading a recall from GM for it leaking onto the cat and igniting?

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Read this start to finish so far, awesome job! Definitely gives me some motivation for working on my c1500.

Note on the transmission breather line - make sure and reroute it to the driver side with some tubing. Pretty sure I recall reading a recall from GM for it leaking onto the cat and igniting?

Thanks man, it's been slower then anticipated and been having unexpected things to pay like property taxes which should've been paid for through my mortgage but denied me cause it was a supplemental bill so that emptied my truck fund, water heater keeps screwing up, had an electrian who fried a line so had to rewire part of the house, just stupid crap. I'm still shooting for spring time so mayb taxes will give me the bump I need to make that goal.
Thanks for the tip on the breather tube, it looks like something would've been on there but no lines under the truck and no oil coming out of it, I'll still install a new line just in case

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I keep getting told to do, Yes I like the 5.3 but I'm not sure. To me they just seem sluggish when any weight is added plus I hate all the electrical they come with, dnt get me wrong they're great but if I did a swap I'd end up wanting to turbo it, most likely twin setup, and with this to be my eventually daily I'm unsure if I wanna go that route. My tbi in this thing had some pretty good power, got and went quickly, hauled whatever I loaded and it's a simple motor.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it were me I would pick which engine I wanted to turbo and just build that, sounds like you like the 5.7 tbi, no sense in building two engines.

Though don't you have smog?

If you just want to get it running i'd find a used engine to swap in for the meantime. Rebuilding is a lot of time and money.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I do a turbo it'll be a 5.3 for sure. Ya I have to smog every 2 years an Ca is picky on engine swaps, I kno I can swap in another motor as long as it came from the same class of vehicle, basically if it's sold in a newer 1500 I can put it in. After that im unaware what else they require.

Ya I like the tbi because they're simple and cheap to work on but i kno the power numbers are better for the ls, I've tossed the idea around of finding junkyard tbi and throwing that in for now then deciding. I haven't fully read through what all is needed for a swap, electrical, trans etc. so if you know a thread or site that talks abt it id appreciate it. For now I'm just gunna keep looking around at options and work on the frame, body, and redoing the electrical.