Grandpa Jim's '94 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thejim42

Reaction score
its a northern truck so there is a fair amount of frame rust. the body itself is in amazing shape with the exception of the front fenders having rust at the tops of the wheel arches, the hood being rippled from the latch failing at 70mph and flying open, and some rust bubbles in the rockers. i,ve got a southern frame thats on much better shape. its getting painted and the set up with all new suspension, stainless brake and fuel lines etc, and then the body and drive train will get swapped over after all the rust repairs and paint work is done on the body. ill probably reseal the 350 when its out too.

only thing that bothers me about the new frame is that its an '88 so it has a 2 bolt idler arm instead of a 3...dont ask me why it bothers me so much but it does.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its a northern truck so there is a fair amount of frame rust. the body itself is in amazing shape with the exception of the front fenders having rust at the tops of the wheel arches, the hood being rippled from the latch failing at 70mph and flying open, and some rust bubbles in the rockers. i,ve got a southern frame thats on much better shape. its getting painted and the set up with all new suspension, stainless brake and fuel lines etc, and then the body and drive train will get swapped over after all the rust repairs and paint work is done on the body. ill probably reseal the 350 when its out too.

only thing that bothers me about the new frame is that its an '88 so it has a 2 bolt idler arm instead of a 3...dont ask me why it bothers me so much but it does.
I have a 1988 K1500 and replaced the idler arm with a Moog when I first got it. I have now done 100k with the torsion bars cranked up and it is still good. Just remember to keep greasing all the joint regularly and you will be fine.

thejim42

Reaction score
Fix it. Fix it now. You can smile to yourself every time you think about it.... for decades.
From what i understand, ill need a whole new frame '93+. everything I've found says you cant just drill and bolt in a 3 bolt idler arm...not sure why. but i also haven't taken a good look yet to see.

thejim42

Reaction score
So I have a new frame from an '89 parts truck i bought several years ago. Its in much better shape than the frame that's under Papa Jim's truck (Despite what the pictures suggest). I took today off to stay home with my sick toddler and while she was napping decided to try and make some headway on getting the frame portion of the restoration done. I get everything off the frame that i could and it still be able to roll. and from the rear up to the front cab mounts i pressure washed and degreased it then shot it with 2 coats of rustoleum rust reformer. My plan is to some back over the top with an oil based farm implement paint with a hardener. I'm waiting to do the front section until i have all new suspension parts so i can take everything off, paint and then install the new stuff so i have to ability to roll the chassis around. Im also planning on ordering new rear springs and shocks as well as going through and rebuilding the rear axle, regearing from 3.42 to 3.73, and adding a detroit trutrac LSD. But one thing at a time...afterall, christmas is coming up.

You must be registered for see images attach

thejim42

Reaction score
And for anyone wondering, here is the $250 Parts truck with no title or back window with a running 305 that ended up in boat and a 700r4 with no reverse. Don't mind the yard, that was back before i was married and when I only kept beer, mustard, and spoiled milk in my fridge. (Or at least that's the story my old man keeps telling me....I'm still not sure what my wife saw in me)

thejim42

Reaction score
Got my new TBI unit from SPR Performance put on the truck. It's a night and day difference from the original unit that probably has vacuum leaks, and varnished up injectors. Starts easier, runs smoother, Better throttle response and went from getting between 12-14mpg to 16-18mpg.

Out with the old

In with the new