Front End Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Frankly taking the lift kit off would be a massive pain. All the work to undo everything and then the welding that'd be required would suck.

Plus I like having the truck lifted, so I'd rather figure out the problems.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frankly taking the lift kit off would be a massive pain. All the work to undo everything and then the welding that'd be required would suck.

Plus I like having the truck lifted, so I'd rather figure out the problems.
JP seriously not trying to hate on it and I can appreciate you wanting a lift and all. But, after all these years and all these companies engineers developing these, they still have issues right out of the box. That doesn’t bode well for the future.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotta ask after watching the video, with all the corrosion on what I'm seeing and thought was new parts, was that a used lift kit? Possibility you're dealing with bent/wrecked stuff?

Maybe longer end links on the sway bar or flipping it to get off the tie rods.

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FIxed that problem, readjusted some of the steering components. Now Im having one more problem. For some reason my tie rods are rubbing bad on the sway bar and I'm not sure as to why.

Dont have the upper control arm bolts tight either because it needs to be done once it's back on the ground.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

You could start by loosening the pinch clamps on the tie rod adjusters and flip them 180°. That'll give you a bit of clearance.

Then lower the ride height at the torsion bars. That'll give you a ton of clearance.

Lastly, you could remove the sway bar altogether. That'll eliminate the contact with the tie rod.
My '88 GMC 1500 has the same lift. It never had a sway bar from OE and I've never missed having it.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '88 K1500 did not have a sway bar originally. I did some front-suspension repairs, and crammed a bar in as the "last step" in that process.

Yes, I did notice an improvement with the sway bar as opposed to without. It was also no fun getting the bar off of the truck in the Treasure Yard, nor putting it on mine. Four small bolts, little tool clearance.

For the record--the 2WD sway bar is not the same as the 4WD sway bar.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could start by loosening the pinch clams on the tie rod adjusters and flip them 180°. That'll give you a bit of clearance.

Then lower the ride height at the torsion bars. That'll give you a ton of clearance.

Lastly, you could remove the sway bar altogether. That'll eliminate the contact with the tie rod.
My '88 GMC 1500 has the same lift. It never had a sway bar from OE and I've never missed having it.
Loosening the pinch clamps would only fix one side. The other side is hitting on the actual body of the tie rod itself.

Already tried loosening the torsion keys. They were cranked about 6 turns and I brought it all the way down to around 2.5-3.

And wow I didnt realize the 88s didnt come with a sway bar. VERY temping to say bye to it lol. I could always take it off and see how it drives without it on.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My '88 K1500 did not have a sway bar originally. I did some front-suspension repairs, and crammed a bar in as the "last step" in that process.

Yes, I did notice an improvement with the sway bar as opposed to without. It was also no fun getting the bar off of the truck in the Treasure Yard, nor putting it on mine. Four small bolts, little tool clearance.

For the record--the 2WD sway bar is not the same as the 4WD sway bar.
Thank you for the insight, once again I didnt even realize the 88s didnt have sway bars from factory lol, makes me feel a little better if I want to take it off.

Ive considered different sway bar links with bigger spacers(moog K7275) but Im afraid Id run into clearance issues with the UCA at that point.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I want to remove this sway bar theres no coming back. Theres no room for me to get it out without cutting it at one of the curves so I can pull it straight out.