Dual or triple shock mounts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HIGH BOWTIE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might sound like a stupid question but why are lifted trucks no bueno for towin? Even with helper bags?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Might sound like a stupid question but why are lifted trucks no bueno for towin? Even with helper bags?

Tall (ie: flexy) sidewalls, the leverage big tires put on your brakes, drop hitch adapters and the leverage the difference in heights gives is not a good combo.

Can lead to big sway in the wrong conditions.

Think: tail wagging the dog.

Lighter loads you can get away with, heavy loads means you can be rolling the dice.

Where you tow also effects it. Mountainous terrain means even more demands on the braking system and possible fade. Plains might seems safe but you can be dealing with big side winds. Etc, etc....

Its different for every setup because every setup is different. If I were pressed to give a weight, I'd say once you are getting north of 5,000 lbs you're in the "risk" category....

Last edited:

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tall (ie: flexy) sidewalls, the leverage big tires put on your brakes, drop hitch adapters and the leverage the difference in heights gives is not a good combo.

Can lead to big sway in the wrong conditions.

Think: tail wagging the dog.

Lighter loads you can get away with, heavy loads means you can be rolling the dice.

Where you tow also effects it. Mountainous terrain means even more demands on the braking system and possible fade. Plains might seems safe but you can be dealing with big side winds. Etc, etc....

Its different for every setup because every setup is different. If I were pressed to give a weight, I'd say once you are getting north of 5,000 lbs you're in the "risk" category....

x2 I'd add that distance is the biggest killer.

ten fifteen miles maxed out, 8,000+ load (trailer and trailer contents,) could probably get away with it for a while but any further distances and you are taking a big risk. Factory tire/wheel probably close to 70lbs. Your 38x15.50x18s somewhere in the neighborhood of 140lbs. Your SF rear did help you some but your front brakes do 70% of the braking. But this isn't a towing topic.

If you want it to ride like it use to, only way possible is to un-crank to where it was. Shocks dampen the suspension articulation to keep the vehilce from bouncing. Springs, torsion bars in this case, are what makes your ride quality no good way to get around it.

HIGH BOWTIE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I'm gunna try some adjustable shocks and see how much of a difference it makes. But on a note my boat is at my lake house an it's not far at all from storage to boat ramp so I'd be alright. I prob can't tow right now with my stock gears it's hard enough on its own lol

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Tgere are people that pull with a heck of a lot bigger trucks, all depends on tire rating, gears, brake upgrades and etc. Hell i pulled a mini van with my 96 and that was prob close to 8000 pounds between van and trailer, hauled a load of brick that had the hitch 6" off the ground, i mean i drove slow but its not like you cant haul with it, just gotta be safe when doing it

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guess it all boils down to How tall and the tires. Friend had a Mega Cab Cummins that was Jacked way into the sky. (13" of lift) and towed his bobcat and landscaping equipment regularly, he also ran 22: semi wheels and tires though

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Guess it all boils down to How tall and the tires. Friend had a Mega Cab Cummins that was Jacked way into the sky. (13" of lift) and towed his bobcat and landscaping equipment regularly, he also ran 22: semi wheels and tires though

Ive seen trucks on 38s pullin heavy loads, also seen trucks with 20"+ of lift on 49" and 54" tires pull heavy loads