Dual or triple shock mounts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
They do have double shock hoop for ifs, southernpride has double shocks on his truck, as far as trying to correct for the roughness of the ride adding a second shock isnt going to fix that, if you replace your stock shock with one for a lifted truck it will help some but you wont get it back as smooth as uncranked

HIGH BOWTIE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I figured it would but I do need new shocks that's why I askin about this.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Just get a longer travel shock, the second shock is to help stiffen the ride some cause your doubling the force needed to compress the shock

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Only reason I want them is after I cranked my tb a little the front became really stiff (I know it's going to be stiffer if u crank) but I love the way it feels in the cab and want to keep it the way it is an still have the smooth ride I had not cranked at all. And IMO they dual or triple shocks in the front look bad ass

doubling your number of shocks isn't going to help that any.

The problem is when you crank the torsion bar keys you rotate the lower control arm down.

When you do this, you effectively shorten the lever arm that is acting on the torsion bar.

Result: stiffer ride.

All doubling the shocks are going to do in your case is make the ride stiffer. IE: you're going to double the compression damping.

There is benefit to double shocks with heavy tires in rebound damping, but that's a different issue than what you're talking about.

If you want a "cushier" ride again, you need to get a bigger drop kit for the front IFS to return things back closer to stock geometry. IFS is pretty picky about these types of things.

Or, as others have stated, swap over to a solid front axle.

Here's a bit of trivia most never knew: Back in the 80's when multiple shocks were "the thing" most trucks had one functional shock and the rest were "dummies". IE: they drilled a hole int hem and released the oil/nitro. multiple shocks made them ride like buckboards due to the stiffness the compression and rebound damping all those shocks added.

Cheers

:)

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
My friend has procomp mx6 and thats what southernpride used with his cepek lift, the mx6 has adjustable stiffness

HIGH BOWTIE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
doubling your number of shocks isn't going to help that any.

The problem is when you crank the torsion bar keys you rotate the lower control arm down.

When you do this, you effectively shorten the lever arm that is acting on the torsion bar.

Result: stiffer ride.

All doubling the shocks are going to do in your case is make the ride stiffer. IE: you're going to double the compression damping.

There is benefit to double shocks with heavy tires in rebound damping, but that's a different issue than what you're talking about.

If you want a "cushier" ride again, you need to get a bigger drop kit for the front IFS to return things back closer to stock geometry. IFS is pretty picky about these types of things.

Or, as others have stated, swap over to a solid front axle.

Here's a bit of trivia most never knew: Back in the 80's when multiple shocks were "the thing" most trucks had one functional shock and the rest were "dummies". IE: they drilled a hole int hem and released the oil/nitro. multiple shocks made them ride like buckboards due to the stiffness the compression and rebound damping all those shocks added.

Cheers

:)

Thanks for the info man but I'm curious of the benefit of runnin more than a single shock if u want to explain that as well.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info man but I'm curious of the benefit of runnin more than a single shock if u want to explain that as well.

Double shocks come into play when you're talking heavier tires and "off the shelf" shocks.

The reality is that if you spend some cash for adjustable shocks (and someone to dial them in) then a single will outperform a couple generic off the shelf shocks every time. but you're getting into some serious cash at that point.

There was a time when the only real choice with really heavy tires was multiple shocks. Things are a bit different these days with adjustable shocks coming way down in price compared to back then.

Then there's also the fact that some think more is better and they like the looks.

Nothing wrong with liking the look, but you can probably tell I don't subscribe to the more is better idea.....:)

HIGH BOWTIE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I could just get the procomp mx6 shocks 96k1500 is talking about and adjust them to my liking and prob be just fine