Front Passenger upper shock mount broken off frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to a Treasure Yard. Find a vehicle similar to yours.

Cut the shock mount off--cleanly, with care. Better to take some of the frame than to lose any of the bracket. The bits of frame can be ground-off later.

Go to a weldor, have him weld the Treasure Yard shock mount to your vehicle.

I hope you got a big discount for having to accept the lift-kit with the rest of the truck.

Papikev252

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here’s a picture of the good side with the wheels and shocks removed. Lol it could just be this is a ****** lift kit but truck was a good deal so I got it. Lift kits can be changed. But I just wanted to show everyone this angle. Okay now you can knit pick

Papikev252

Reaction score
Go to a Treasure Yard. Find a vehicle similar to yours.

Cut the shock mount off--cleanly, with care. Better to take some of the frame than to lose any of the bracket. The bits of frame can be ground-off later.

Go to a weldor, have him weld the Treasure Yard shock mount to your vehicle.
Okay , I was quoted 600-800 from one guy who does classic car restorations. Does that seem pretty fair?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay , I was quoted 600-800 from one guy who does classic car restorations. Does that seem pretty fair?
Seemed WAY high to me...but I don't know what labor rates are in your area, and I've also re-considered the labor cost to remove all the crap in order to get to the actual welding job.

$600--$800 = 6 to 8 hours of work at $100/hr.

Are YOU supplying the new/used shock mount? How much "clean up" does he have to do to the shock mount before it's ready to be welded-in? How much "clean up" does he have to do to your frame before that is ready for welding? Is he painting the mount, or leaving that for you? Is he putting the truck back together after the welding job is done, or are you re-assembling it?

Depending on his scope-of-work, this could be a bargain.

Might want to pay him to add some reinforcement to that poor shock-mount. Based on some eyeball-engineering, that twin-shock hoop is going to put enormous leverage on the shock mount that the shock mount was never designed to accept, which is probably why the poor abused thing broke to begin with. And even the "good" side shows evidence of prior repair welding.

Why does aftermarket crap have to be so poorly engineered? Lift kits and rear disc conversions seem to be magnets for people who have no damn business building parts to modify vehicles.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would rather fab a shock hoop, lose the factory shock mount altogether, repair /reinforce frame and weld fabbed shock hoop on with anchor plates analogous to how you would tie in a roll cage or other permanent structure. last thing I would do is continue working with what hasn't worked, And just because you think it drives straight, doesn't mean it's aligned properly and isn't going to eat tires. When it's done , on a rack it should go.

Last edited:

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good picture tells a thousand words. I think a big part of the problem is that the original shock mount was designed to take an up and down force but that shock hoop has transferred the load to an in and out force and that is why they have both broken just above where they are welded to the frame. It's a simple case of metal fatigue that is going to keep returning unless you can brace the upper section of the original shock mount that is flexing.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A good picture tells a thousand words. I think a big part of the problem is that the original shock mount was designed to take an up and down force but that shock hoop has transferred the load to an in and out force and that is why they have both broken just above where they are welded to the frame. It's a simple case of metal fatigue that is going to keep returning unless you can brace the upper section of the original shock mount that is flexing.
Agree. More than likely to happen again with a "like kind" repair.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Really?

You must be registered for see images attach

That's hammered dog-$#!+. Cut both sides off and start over.
I was just going to mention that also, that shock hoop looks home-made and not part of the pro lift kit.

And kudos to the OP for letting our criticism roll off his back and not getting all bent outta shape about it! We are trying to help, we dont want you crashing and killing people on the highway due to somebody else's backyard engineering.

And do I see more flux core booger shooter repair welds directly under the control arm relocation bracket?

Lots of stresses going on with that setup