Dual Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well we run a custom stainless fab shop here, but being we cant mandrel bend that big i just bought some prebent J's and welded it to straight pipe. being i'm cheap i just used mild, and threw some high temp paint on.

Ah, I think I may end up taking it to a shop, seems like a lot of work and if I kink the piping im SOL. What type of paint did you use?

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A word on this whole X pipe debate that seems to be rampant on here. X pipes, H pipes and whatever shape you want pipes were developed to help equalize and balance pulses on a V configuration engine. Problem is the science where the whole theory comes from is based upon having equal length piping feeding the X. A T400 chassis Chevy truck has anything but equal length considering you have to cross over somewhere. It's hard to match cylinder pulses from the banks when the lead pipe from the drivers side is 3 feet longer than the passenger side one. Right there you have defeated the whole purpose of installing the X pipe in the first place. I wouldn't waste money or time installing an X on one of these trucks no matter the engine because even if it looks pretty, it's doing absolutely nothing. Popping or whatever is usually diminished in an X but since you are running a di/do muffler that is irrelevant. Save the money from the X you don't need and for the long tubes you do.

Last edited:

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A word on this whole X pipe debate that seems to be rampant on here. X pipes, H pipes and whatever shape you want pipes were developed to help equalize and balance pulses on a V configuration engine. Problem is the science where the whole theory comes from is based upon having equal length piping feeding the X. A T400 chassis Chevy truck has anything but equal length considering you have to cross over somewhere. It's hard to match cylinder pulses from the banks when the lead pipe from the drivers side is 3 feet longer than the passenger side one. Right there you have defeated the whole purpose of installing the X pipe in the first place. I wouldn't waste money or time installing an X on one of these trucks no matter the engine because even if it looks pretty, it's doing absolutely nothing. Popping or whatever is usually diminished in an X but since you are running a di/do muffler that is irrelevant. Save the money from the X you don't need and for the long tubes you do.

Thanks man. I didn't realize that the pipes had to be equal for the x pipe to make a difference. And I damn will put that money towards LT's!

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks man. I didn't realize that the pipes had to be equal for the x pipe to make a difference. And I damn will put that money towards LT's!

You can still find lots of debate on whether it even really matters at in a properly tuned exhaust but I think with the way gas flow works it can help myself. It's just you need common length tubes to match the pulses equally. Just like if you have unequal length tube headers you are taking away from the effect again, but it can get to the point of splitting hairs for 1 or 2 Hp, lol. Fully understanding gas flow theory is a lot of time for a person to dwell on.

Headers on the other hand are a proven winner over the stock logs. At least you are ditching the usual Vortec choke point of the 1 7/8" head pipes. Good luck with the exhaust!

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can still find lots of debate on whether it even really matters at in a properly tuned exhaust but I think with the way gas flow works it can help myself. It's just you need common length tubes to match the pulses equally. Just like if you have unequal length tube headers you are taking away from the effect again, but it can get to the point of splitting hairs for 1 or 2 Hp, lol. Fully understanding gas flow theory is a lot of time for a person to dwell on.

Headers on the other hand are a proven winner over the stock logs. At least you are ditching the usual Vortec choke point of the 1 7/8" head pipes. Good luck with the exhaust!

Yeah I can see how an increase in pipe diameter would really wake these things up. 1 7/8" is pretty small. **** my sisters Accord probably has head pipes close to that.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Ah, I think I may end up taking it to a shop, seems like a lot of work and if I kink the piping im SOL. What type of paint did you use?

not sure how you could kink the piping, it is a good bit of work, and as far as the x-pipe, i also never know about all the physics of it. i might too just go with the muffler for now. when you do the headers make sure on the passengers side, that you give the arch part of the body where the headers fit close a good few wacks with a big hammer. mine hits alot under stress in reverse.. you probably want at least 1/2" or more of clearance.. i have like 1/4" and its not cutting it (not about to take the headers off to adjust tho)

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah, well it's going in at the end of the week to get installed so I'll post vids when I can.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good, here's a crappy video. Of course with headers like you have the sound will be louder. It is pretty calm at idle but wakes up god when in throttle and you can't even hear it on the highway which is awesome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpoYepIhWgo

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

I'll get a better vid tomorrow if I have time with a better camera. Video doesn't do any justice.