Dual Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
The mufflers with crossover built in are sweet, i actually just got one yesterday for my truck, installing it tonight. only thing i'm wondering, is for proper scavenging should it not be closer to the engine than the muffler is? especailly if your running a dumped exhaust (which i'm debating on).

now in my setup which is kinda just thrown together, i've got lt's.. i did notice less torque at the lower rps and way more up near 3000+
the problem i have is mielage. to re-add that torque is there a way to add backpressure without killing my flow when i do open it up? i have 2-1/2" collector running to 2-1/4" piping.

blue96

HANO Motorsports
Reaction score
Having the crossover-esque muffler should help scavenging some so, I'd go-ahead and run the 2.5" pipes. It'll sound better but won't totally kill torque. Remember, a gear swap will fix a sluggish low end too!!

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Since mine is never going to be a bat outta hell(i just cruise/creep), then I can get by with the slightly more restrictive 2" pipe(same as down-pipes from manifolds)....I still have tons of torque too, but I have pulled the 100mph mark, and getting there from 85mph is slow and steady. Bigger diameter pipe would fix it, but I'd lose my low end some; and since the engine is technically a work engine(not hi-po like the vortecs), then why use higher rpm exhaust? like tryin to use a mule in place of a thoroughbred....i know they did a zebra once haha

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The mufflers with crossover built in are sweet, i actually just got one yesterday for my truck, installing it tonight. only thing i'm wondering, is for proper scavenging should it not be closer to the engine than the muffler is? especailly if your running a dumped exhaust (which i'm debating on).

Since I'm running full length exhaust, i can't say exactly....mine is placed directly under the passenger front seat, on my ext cab....cuz it's where the piping was the closest to being perfectly parallel....

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Got the muffler installed but its still pretty loud.. i know i should have went with the 22".. didnt want it too quiet tho. anyways i dont have my tailpipes on yet, they will come tho. i know that they will quiet it up some, is there anything else i can do tho? i know putting cats back in would help. but then i'd have to put cats back in.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
yeah, i've never used cats myself....not required to keep on 5+yr old vehicles here. Only thing I've noticed the cats do, other than provide a bit of backpressure, is the tend to even out the air flow a bit....kindof like running a pulsating air jet thru an air filter....the felt pulse after filter is softer and less direct feeling. So I'd almost lean to say it smooths out the crackle/pop a little. May just be my hearing messing with me though :p