Dual Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
nice, i think i'm gonna get the longer one, keep it a little quieter. is that just cats back?

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah but it isn't super loud at all. A 14" case muffler would be a pretty good tone since you have headers etc. Make sure to add an x-pipe to your because I've heard these trucks with headers and magnaflows without an xpipe and it is pretty raspy

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
i was looking at some of the magnaflows with a crossover, not the exact same effect as an x pipe, but they're suposto even out the tone.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That would be a good thing. My exhaust sounds like it's pulsating a little bit at idle, probably because of the uneven pressures.

blue96

HANO Motorsports
Reaction score
I've read this entire thread and now I'm compelled to add my $0.02.

Long tube headers vs manifolds on essentially stock engines:

With basic bolt ons and an OEM HCI, you can actually HURT performance by adding big primary LT headers. How? Inhale thru a straw and exhale thru a paper towel tube... Notice anything?? Right, zero back pressure which leads to poor exhaust scavenging which leads to a loss of torque that no truck should be without.. Yes!! LT headers generally make more power than shorties and especially cast iron manifolds. However, LT headers make more power in the higher rpm range which, unless you drive in the 3k to 5k (or whatever your redline is) constantly you really don't see the power you paid for. You actualy feel the drop in low end torque that leads to crappy fuel mileage. Now, for those with higher flowing, purpose built engines (or LSx swaps) will greatly benefit from LT headers due to the added airflow through the engine. (remember the straw/paper towel tube analogy I mentioned? Reverse it)

True duals:

True duals is a term thrown around by people who converted their single exhaust equipped vehicle with, you guessed it, a true dual exhaust. The person that informed some of you that a dual exhaust with a crossover isnt a true dual exhaust is a moron. It doesn't suddenly become a false dual exhaust with an h or x crossover. It become a more efficient exhaust. PERIOD!!

Sorry for the thread jack, but I disagree with some of the posters.

Last edited:

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I've read this entire thread and now I'm compelled to add my $0.02.

Headers vs manifolds on essentially stock engines:

With basic bolt ons and an OEM HCI, you can actually HURT performance by adding big primary LT headers. How? Inhale thru a straw and exhale thru a paper towel tube... Notice anything?? Right, zero back pressure which leads to poor exhaust scavenging which leads to a loss of torque that no truck should be without.. Yes!! LT headers generally make more power than shorties and especially cast iron manifolds. However, LT headers make more power in the higher rpm range which, unless you drive in the 3k to 5k (or whatever your redline is) constantly you really don't see the power you paid for. You actualy feel the drop in low end torque that leads to crappy fuel mileage. Now, for those with higher flowing, purpose built engines (or LSx swaps) will greatly benefit from LT headers due to the added airflow through the engine. (remember the straw/paper towel tube analogy I mentioned? Reverse it)

True duals:

True duals is a term thrown around by people who converted their single exhaust equipped vehicle with, you guessed it, a true dual exhaust. The person that informed some of you that a dual exhaust with a crossover isnt a true dual exhaust is a moron. It doesn't suddenly become a false dual exhaust with an h or x crossover. It become a more efficient exhaust. PERIOD!!

Sorry for the thread jack, but I disagree with some of the posters.

Exactly, I used a similar analogy explaining that to some guy in an exhaust shop once who wouldn't understand what the shop owner was explaining to him. A lot of vehicles went from 2 pipes to 1 almost as soon as they came off the engine, but soon people figured out they can get more performance from having 2 independent pipes, even if they intersect, they still are independent, if you stick a potato in a tailpipe on a truck with true dual exhaust (H, X) it will still run, but if you stick it in a truck with true duals (with no intersecting point) it will most likely sputter because 4 pistons aren't releasing the exhaust coming from the combustion.

I might have contradicted myself in there, I'm kind of in a hurry to leave, so I typed that all up without error checking it. Someone can clarify for me.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well here's my 2 cents on crossover pipes, mufflers, etc. What I did on mine was mostly for show and to irritate the neighbors: Stock-sized collector piping(2") true dual running out the back, no crossover piping, and since the driver's side pipe is longer it has a different tone(lower) and they tend to crackle at different rpms....when accelerating steadily you can almost hear the stereo(2-channel) effect of the crackling moving from one exhaust to the other, back and forth. With a cross-pipe, it would help equalize pressures and tones. Instead of using an actual X/H/V pipe, I just decided to go the simpler route and use the 18"Lx9"Wx4"T dual in/out muffler...therefore I kill 2 birds with 1 stone....I get a muffler AND a crosspipe, and it's much cleaner looking....and I get less people asking "does the crosspipe really help?" <- saves me from getting a headache trying to explain. It sounds just like my 67 cougar did with the 351C....nice throaty sound without the resonating back and forth sounds.

-Mike.