Dual Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
yeah, i've never used cats myself....not required to keep on 5+yr old vehicles here. Only thing I've noticed the cats do, other than provide a bit of backpressure, is the tend to even out the air flow a bit....kindof like running a pulsating air jet thru an air filter....the felt pulse after filter is softer and less direct feeling. So I'd almost lean to say it smooths out the crackle/pop a little. May just be my hearing messing with me though :p

Totally agree, gutted cats even seem to even the pulses, we gutted the cat on our old ford 7.3 diesel and you cant feel a pulse out the tailpipe, it even sounds like a constant tone coming out. hard to describe but pretty cool. I put in my muffler and just ran like 2ft of pipe out the back and it seems to make a pretty good diference in sound, quieter but better tone... just wish i would have put it in the same spot so i could have my tail pipes run straight out the back.. gonna have to get me some s bends.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Totally agree, gutted cats even seem to even the pulses, we gutted the cat on our old ford 7.3 diesel and you cant feel a pulse out the tailpipe, it even sounds like a constant tone coming out. hard to describe but pretty cool. I put in my muffler and just ran like 2ft of pipe out the back and it seems to make a pretty good diference in sound, quieter but better tone... just wish i would have put it in the same spot so i could have my tail pipes run straight out the back.. gonna have to get me some s bends.

Haha niiice....used to own an '89 4x4 f250 with the 7.3L....ran "true" duals with glasspacks out to 18"L x 4"W tips at each rear corner. I always just eased aroudn everywhere cuz those engines weren't made for continuous high rpms. But man, this one time I had to scoot, and when i hit the gas, "GROOOWWWWWLLLLLLLl!!!!!!!!!!" it actually for the first time, made the growl like a gasser lol. I was surprised, thought it was hilarious....and so did my cop buddy who claimed to be 3 blocks down and heard it through his rolled up windows o_O

I called BS....but whatever. :shrug:

GAZ7198

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who has Super 10's on there truck ? Are they going to get me a ticket

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Who has Super 10's on there truck ? Are they going to get me a ticket

depends what the rest of your exhaust is like. throwing super 10's on stock piping, cats and manifolds wont be that loud.. it will be louder but not 'ticket loud' unless your from cali.. then everything is illegal.

GAZ7198

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ha i am from there but ive lived in GA the better half of my life

loud00chevy

Reaction score
Haha niiice....used to own an '89 4x4 f250 with the 7.3L....ran "true" duals with glasspacks out to 18"L x 4"W tips at each rear corner. I always just eased aroudn everywhere cuz those engines weren't made for continuous high rpms. But man, this one time I had to scoot, and when i hit the gas, "GROOOWWWWWLLLLLLLl!!!!!!!!!!" it actually for the first time, made the growl like a gasser lol. I was surprised, thought it was hilarious....and so did my cop buddy who claimed to be 3 blocks down and heard it through his rolled up windows o_O

I called BS....but whatever. :shrug:

My dad had a 90 f250 4x4 with a 7.3idi, I use to drive it like I stole it. Had a glasspack that was blown out, all my friends loved hearing it.