Dowsewasheres 1998 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I changed both my rear diff and transfer case fluids. Castrol Dextron 6 and rear was Valvoline whatever weight with limited slip additive.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another Bump from the dead.

I replaced the headlights with lightly used Z71 Tahoes headlights, newer used ac compressor, windshield wiper motor, scored an OEM under hood box and had to replace a 3/8ths main gas line + new fuel filter.

She sits at just under 163,000. Needs an oil change and my transfer case is leaking A LOT of ATF but I'll just keep an eye on it since I'm not removing a tcase to replace the seals.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Soooooo a depressing update.

Went to put some gas in the Tahoe today. Ran around town and picked up some stuff to undercoat and try and see where the tcase is seeping from. I went to back the truck onto some steel ramps and BOOM. Trans lets loose and I have no reverse (I do have 1st gear which is good to move it)...... I believe that my tcase is fine but my rear output seal on the 4l60e was leaking ATF slowly over time. Not totally sure since I was so mad I didn't look. I have a lead on a junkyard trans but the entirety of the swap looks awful and I'm at a cross roads of fixing it or just parting whats left of it out and scraping it. I love this thing to death but we will see. Getting that exhaust off and getting the cross member on a truck as rusty as mine just seems like a suicide mission.

I know I am a moron for not checking everything but I've been extremely busy with school, work and just life in general.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do NOT put limited slip additive in a G80 rear diff.!
Well it has been in there for the past four thousands miles.... What is the issue exactly?

go get some new junkyard parts man! How much rust we talking?
Typical New England winter rust. Spare tire carrier is starting to rot on the lower mounts, drivers side rear quarter is almost all hopes and dreams. I've done brake lines, starting to replace fuel lines. Frame is solid. But the idea of getting the exhaust off and cross memeber with the torsion bars is just horrifying

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Gov-locks are not a limited slip.
Friction modifiers tend to cause their early demise.
GM says outright to not add posi-lube to a Gov-lock.

Last edited: