Dowsewasheres 1998 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took the truck to school today. I didnt have wipers for the first like 3 miles and then they kicked on. Had a noticeable noise when they wanted to come on. Its been hot and now its cool, rainy and humid. Anywhere to start checking first? This has never happened in the 3 years I've owned this thing

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Yeah, The weather is changing at this end of the state as well. Was 54 and Damp this morning. First thing I'd do replace the circuit board on the wiper motor. Really common failure. 3 Torx screws and it pops right off.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow. I almost forgot about this thread but I feel I should bump from the dead.

The Tahoe is still alive. Rolled 158,000 a couple of days after new years. For the past week has been my daily. I also ordered LED cubes for either reverse lights or fogs. Not sure yet. Will update when I install. Good to be back on this forum

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update 2.1.16.

I installed the LED cubes exaclty where my old fog lights were and they help immensly when driving at night. Need to get real headlights but that will come eventually. I tackled my drivers side upper ball joint because it was HOSED. The tahoe drive unbelieveably better but the joint on the steering box arm to the rest of the steering boot is also hosed. So that will have to be taken care of so my wheel is straight when driving. Lasty I'm going to try and tackle my coolant leak this spring so I dont have to worry about that bs anymore. Posted in the engine form to try and get more help with some stuff. Ill post pictures at some point to show off the tahoe.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys is there a reason why I can blow the tires off in gravel, dirt or snow if I lightly hold the brakes but on dry pavement no longer can. I do have good rear drums but I just cant figure out why. The truck revs to like 2k and just stays there. Is there a TCM issue holding back power? Now I am doing this constantly but is this something pointing to my trans going? Shifts and feels fine but will not blow my tires off anymore on dry pavement

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Second new thing. Tried doing a burnout in my gravel driveway. No biggie. This morning went to move my tahoe and my rear end was acting like it was a welded diff. My outter wheel was chirping. Drove up the street fine. Is that something to worry about.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
The chirping was definitely your locker still being locked. IRC they are supposed to unlock after like 14 or 17 MPH no matter what. If you were going faster than that and it was still chirping, your locker is probably binding up. That would also explain your inability to do burnouts on pavement - too much traction from your wheels and too much binding/friction in your locker. I would open up the rear end and take a look at your locker before anything else (especially knowing how common G80 problems are in these trucks).

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It did finally unlock. I'm just unsure now why my truck wont blow the 265 tires off anymore. Its like rev limited to 2,000rpms.