Dowsewasheres 1998 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gov-locks are not a limited slip.
Friction modifiers tend to cause their early demise.
GM says outright to not add posi-lube to a Gov-lock.

Good to know. Ill change it out when im taking care of the transmission. Hopefully it doesnt go kaboom

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update. I've been searching like crazy but I'm getting a now power intermittent problem. The truck has been sitting since the sunshell in the 4l60e is broken. But sometimes the truck doesn't get any power. I turned the key today to move it and right before I started it the radio and dash lights came on. But as soon as I turned the key it dies like there is no battery connected. I suspect a bad battery ground or power wire. I know the battery is fine as it turned over last night and I know that the fuse block under the hood is fine because I check those fuses last night too. Does anyone have a under hood wiring diagram or a common relay that goes bad? The battery reads 12.7 volts. It currently acts as if the battery is not connected, the positive and negative are tight. Any insight would be appreciated.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so another boring update to my tahoe. I still have it. The battery issue was due to a bad ground connection on the harness. Took forever to find but everything is good. I bought a 1998 Silverado Work Truck. 4.3 V6 with rod knock. BUT! It had a fully rebuilt 4l60e. I plan in the next two weeks to pull that truck apart and put mine back together.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A little late but never I managed to pull apart my parts truck. It was a huge pain. I figured with the motor being so small it would be no problem but it hit what was left of the cut off exhaust and the passenger side motor mount. Time to do mine. I found and I'm posting it here for myself. The easiest way is get the exhaust off, starter, rear driveshaft, front driveshaft, transmission cross member, VSS and all the sensors off the transmission, transfer case, then hang the trans down to get the bell housing and torque converter bolts.

Also I am using an S-10 converter which is the TC-35CW so it has a higher stall but I am running a bigger Hayden transmission cooler. I also ordered a new thermostat, shocks, waterpump, transmission filter and some other small stuff. I only need the tcase to 4l60e gasket and Dexron 6 ATF.

You must be registered for see images attach
Untitled by Gavin Dowse, on Flickr

This is the oil filter housing residue lol.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So back again. Started the swap wednesday morning and short of the new transmission cooler and exhaust everything was back into place. Autozone still carries my exhaust gaskets and stuff which was cool. I have like 10 quarts in the truck of Valvoline Maxlife ATF as break in atf. The higher converter is meh, takes forever to get going but it works.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another boring update because I have about 1000 miles on the swap

Minor exhaust leak due to the reuse of the exhaust donuts at the header and the mid pipe wouldn't stay together due to not getting all of the old gasket material off. The truck had suffered a misfire problem which was a set of the old napa plug wires that were arching. I replaced the 160,000 mile starter with a reman and a head shield wrap to prevent it from killing itself again. Lastly I've cleaned up a lot of the wiring under the hood.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I put a reman transmission I got out of 4.3 vortec parts truck into my 5.7 tahoe. The main concern I have been having is in regards to the 1-2 shift. Theres a slight flare and theres a pause between the truck shifting if I'm shifting above 2000rpms. Is the transmission slipping? I got it for $250 so I'm not overly concerned but it works fine at all other times and if I'm lightly shifting you dont notice it.

Thanks for your input.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update: I've put 3100 miles on the new transmission. Although it shifts funky and shutters on tcc unlocking at like 70+ I think the trucks doing ok. I put a new waterpump and thermostat although its still kind of leaking a little bit of coolant. I heard mixed reviews on thread sealant for the pump so I didn't afraid of complications. But it looks Ill be doing that soon. Any reccomondations on what to use? i was think a dab of like black rtv? I saw the write up and I was so confused about using thread sealant. Trucks been my internships workhorse. I wish sometimes I held out for a 2500 Suburban or pickup. Oh well.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update time. Truck now has amazon tow mirrors. They're ricey and shake alot more than I wanted them to but someone took off my drivers side mirror so I was kind of stuck. I put a 50in light bar on the roof and come to find out the roof rails are not 50inches wide... I was drunk when I ordered it so that and "1 click" buys amazon... Lastly I put a new Spectra radiator from rockauto lol, Its no longer leaking which is nice but now my trans is soft shifting and I just dont get it. I refilled it with fluid and it spins them fine no slipping but it was hard now soft? WHO KNOWS!

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so story time.

SO my beloved Tahoe saw its demise on February 7th. A kid from my school took his mommy's and daddy's 2016 BMW X3 and duffed it into the back.

Truck was deemed a total loss. I got a check. I decided to keep it. I am currently driving it still. It bend the rear rails, bumper and hitch pretty bad. It sucked. The check made it alotttt better haha.

^^Me and my stantz machine

I took that money and because it needed it.
1.) Wheels and tires off a parts truck - $250
2.) Front rotors and pads - $120
3.) Dreaded Heater core hose quick disconnect - $60 in assorted parts and stuff...

Let me tell you, that quick disconnect was a F*ckin nightmare. I coughed too hard near it and it broke clean off..... Whoever built that should be shot.