Do mowers count?? Lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious love of 400s, I also love tinkering on old mowers. The older the better. It's a strange hobby, but working in foster care, dealing with abused kids, crazy people in general, it's cathartic to do something simple like fixing something mechanical. I have dealt with lots of old snappers with L-Head Briggs. Slowly but surely, I'm getting more versed in them. The latest gem I have found is a 90-91 Sears-Craftsman 38 inch cut with a 12 horse briggs and a 5 speed gearbox. Definitely a dinosaur compared to modern standards, but a neat little machine. Runs really good, but I've been fixing little minors things on it. So far, I've got a drive belt, deck belt and spindles ordered. I've already done a basic tune up since I keep a stockpile of Briggs parts as I find them. I'm sorry if no one gives a crap about this, but I figured it would be a bit of nostalgia since we've all got a grandpa that probably mowed with something like this. Lol

You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dad has an 11 horse, 4 speed 36" mid 80's Craftsman mower and that thing rocks! I swear it is a brush hog that mated with a billy goat wrapped in metal, you CAN'T stop it.

We have a 22 horse V twin, hydrostatic drive 2010 crapsman the has never cut worth a damn, breaks at least 2 mandrels a year, and loves to pitch belts. It is currently sitting in my front yard with a flat tire and fuel problems.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a 22 horse V twin, hydrostatic drive 2010 crapsman the has never cut worth a damn, breaks at least 2 mandrels a year, and loves to pitch belts
"Crapsman" LOL I've had a few of them. The most recent is a 24HP 42" Craftsman Professional that is illegal to sell in CA, ha ha. Since we moved to Tonopah we don't have any grass to worry about but I occasionally use it to pull a drag to knock down the weeds or pull a JD dump trailer. The POS carb on it keeps leaning out and I get lean pops until I pull the cover plate and blow it out. The battery doesn't last hardly 3 years, I have a total of 360 Hours on it and keep it in the garage next to our 3 wheel electric scooter which we don't use either. What a waste, I should sell them both!:waytogo:

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dad has an 11 horse, 4 speed 36" mid 80's Craftsman mower and that thing rocks! I swear it is a brush hog that mated with a billy goat wrapped in metal, you CAN'T stop it.

We have a 22 horse V twin, hydrostatic drive 2010 crapsman the has never cut worth a damn, breaks at least 2 mandrels a year, and loves to pitch belts. It is currently sitting in my front yard with a flat tire and fuel problems.
His is similar to my craftsman. Alot of the newer mowers are junk. Particularly the craftsman, troybilt, murray brand. My main machine is a snapper that I did an engine swap on. It's a really good machine. But there is nothing like a stout L-head Briggs as far as being bulletproof. Your pops is a smart man.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those are good ones. If you can fix them, that's half the battle. The other half is finding parts for them. Lol
Well he actually got lucky that all three of them run flawlessly. They actually look really good for the age. One has the deck, he has a three point hitch and he has a plow for it. He’s slowly growing his selection. Two of them actually have headlights but they don’t work at the moment. One even has a turn key to start it lol. Other than the lights the only thing is the paint, but he has plans to restore them.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dig it. I hate new lawnmowers. I ran a 1998 yard machine with a v twin briggs carbs janky but mows good and I have my grandfather's 1995 yard machine its only 12 or 15hp but he bought it brand new. Its needs lots of maintenace but runs and mows good

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have a 90 (or 91) Craftsman than was originally purchased by my grandfather. Its really more than I need for my yard, but I need to get it back home from the family property as it's kinda in the way out there.

It has a 12-ish horse OHV Tecumseh engine in it. It actually has a little valve cover that I painted gloss black a several years ago. It's also LOUD. The muffler looks fine, but it must have rotted away in the inside.