'50 Chevy 3100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We had a 1950 GMC 1 ton SRW on the farm. My grandfather bought it new and my dad taught me to drive it when I was 7 (1975). I believe the box was 9', 4 stake holes on each side. SM420 transmission (4 spd including bull low). Straight rail frame. We had a hoist on it as it was a grain truck. we used to put a wood box extension on it for hauling wheat. There were 11 leafs in the main spring pack with 5 overloads on top. Rode like a wagon. We used to carry 90 bushels of wheat in that truck, approx 5400 lbs. The plate on the door jam said GVWR was 6700 lbs (pretty conservative rating in those days, ha ha) The work that that truck did would probably make most modern 1 tons cry.........

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't know. Our 1 ton didn't have a model number. There was a GMC logo on each side if the hood and that was it. Might have had something on the door jam but i never paid attention. The engine gave up in 1985 and that was the last I drove it. I think you would be able to tell by box length. 3/4 tons had a full float axle and 8 foot box.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't know. Our 1 ton didn't have a model number. There was a GMC logo on each side if the hood and that was it. Might have had something on the door jam but i never paid attention. The engine gave up in 1985 and that was the last I drove it. I think you would be able to tell by box length. 3/4 tons had a full float axle and 8 foot box.
All i have available to measure is a home made flat bed with a hand operated tilt ( 2 speed tilt at that)

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
:(
I forgot this one is a GMC. So would that mean this GMC 3400 = Chevy 3600?
The GMC levels back then were 100 for half tons, and 150 for 3/4 tons. I guess a one ton would've been a 200? Don't know that I've ever seen a stock 8 lug Chevy or GMC from that era, complete enough to still have the emblems on it. And many that I've seen don't have the 100/150 number under the GMC badge on the hood sides, even on "stock" trucks.
One of the problems with researching these older trucks, is they didn't advertise them as much, so vintage ads and brochures are scarce. Also trucks of all makes were advertised in commercial or farming magazines which are on very fragile, cheap paper and most people didn't keep them, like they kept Life, Saturday Evening Post, etc. Another difficulty is finding people who knew how the trucks were built and optioned back then. These trucks are 70-75 years old by now, the ranks of the experts from the contemporary time period are getting a bit thin.....

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Runs pretty good, and like Stumpy was, I'll be able to drive it, and work on it as I go.

Smart move here. I’ve had my 51 3600 for 18ish years lingering in the garage and have never driven it.

Tucked in behind is my 68 Camaro, on a rotisserie for I can’t remember how many years. I tore it back apart in the mid 1990’s. At this point I’ve conceded that they’ll get worked on seriously when I retire.

Enjoy it/drive it while you build it is definitely the way to go!

Attachments

• IMG_3489.jpeg
    IMG_3489.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 8

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The GMC levels back then were 100 for half tons, and 150 for 3/4 tons. I guess a one ton would've been a 200? Don't know that I've ever seen a stock 8 lug Chevy or GMC from that era, complete enough to still have the emblems on it. And many that I've seen don't have the 100/150 number under the GMC badge on the hood sides, even on "stock" trucks.
One of the problems with researching these older trucks, is they didn't advertise them as much, so vintage ads and brochures are scarce. Also trucks of all makes were advertised in commercial or farming magazines which are on very fragile, cheap paper and most people didn't keep them, like they kept Life, Saturday Evening Post, etc. Another difficulty is finding people who knew how the trucks were built and optioned back then. These trucks are 70-75 years old by now, the ranks of the experts from the contemporary time period are getting a bit thin.....
Ill have to go look at the tag in the cab but im pretty sure its a 3400.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Apparently, the guy that wired the headlights on this truck, is a residential electrician. I've never seen so many wire nuts on a vehicle.

Got all of it connected properly, and working like it suppose to.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Pretty sure the blue rings are illegal, but I'll run 'em, until I'm told not to.

Edit: Can't get it to embed, so you'll have to click on it, and see it in another tab.

Last edited:

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Got all the new front end parts on today, but seen the next project, when I went to start this one. The trans dipstick tube, looks like a Lokar style, and is leaking like crazy, where it goes into the trans. It pulls out super easy, so I should be able to find a couple orings, and make that an easy fix.