DNX9980HD install in my 97 Chevy Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, guys, I have a question for you. Any idea how to flatten/lower/reduce thickness on the tube that runs behind the dash? Ive thought of a dozen, but tossed em so far. Looks like the vertical plate welded to the tube has to go too.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but I'm pretty sure that the HVAC controls for the 95 are one year specific. I'm not sure if they'll work with your 96. Like I said, not 100% sure, but if I am remembering correctly, it is one year specific for the connectors in the back.

Draggin95 would be the guy to ask.

Here's my question, have any of you guys looked into getting an overhead console with rear A/C controls, and looking into making that control the main A/C? I don't even know if it's possible, but it would be pretty slick, and would almost look OEM.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, that was the way I was trying to go in the first place. Not as easy as it seems. And yes, the 95 HVAC control is a one year only. And its much deeper. But Im not sure how that has anything to do with anyone, at least on this thread, that has said they are trying it.

I contacted Vintage Air because they have a 3 knob controller that would fit in the overhead, but it only works with their systems. I was looking into it because I was going to use their FEAD which comes with a compressor when I did an LS conversion.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Oh, my bad, I misunderstood your post. I thought you got your HVAC from a 95. I guess you meant the ashtray thing. :doh2:

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, guys, I have a question for you. Any idea how to flatten/lower/reduce thickness on the tube that runs behind the dash? Ive thought of a dozen, but tossed em so far. Looks like the vertical plate welded to the tube has to go too.

Nobody has any ideas here?

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you talking about that metal support bar ?? I was kind of thinking that thing may be a problem on this modification ...
Maybe a small grinder might do the trick ... just try not to catch anything on fire

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mayb cut half of it out... And then weld a piece back on to make it flat l_____l kinda like that on tp the bar... But if its bcoming to much trouble just leave the ashtray open..?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, the metal bar. Im wondering if I drill a bunch of vertical holes every inch or so, I could put a bolt in the holes one at a time and compress the tube by tightening the bolt. Just work my way along the length. All I need is about a 1/4".

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think that bar is part of the Airbag system. I think it give strength to the dash and mounts the pass bag IIRC. It goes the entire width of the dash and the driver's side lower knee bolster is attached to it as well.

Any chance of moving part of it back into the dash? I remember seeing it when I had my ashtray out, but can't remember what's behind it.

My truck doesn't even have bags (8600GVW), but I'm sure that bar is in there. I was originally planning to do something like this but didn't really have the time to mess with it when I bought a radio. I went with a single DIN and I like it, but I'd really love a Double DIN.