DNX9980HD install in my 97 Chevy Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took it to work today and filed all the nasty edges, drilled out the two rivets, took the metal plate off, filed down a small ridge, and using one of the original rivet holes, I drilled a small hole in the top of the head unit (after pianstakingly lining everything up). Then I put a small screw in it and it was solid!. Just for laughs and to square everything up, I stuck one in the end too.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now I will have to see how the wiring works out. If I have to lengthen the wires, I will, no problem, but Im hoping not to have to.

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im pretty sure u need the lower dash panel and possibly even the glove box from the same 95 dash... I could be wrong but 9 3/4's of the time out of 10, im not.... :smile:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure u need the lower dash panel and possibly even the glove box from the same 95 dash... I could be wrong but 9 3/4's of the time out of 10, im not.... :smile:

Not sure on the glove box but will definitely need the lower dash panel. The ashtray sections are different.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, to get the whole thing out, you have to take a small screwdriver and release the 4 compression pins that hold the assembly to the dash. Then the whole thing just pops out. The wires for the power outlets and the ashtray lamp have to be cut, or released from it and then you walk away......

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I have one. All is not rosy in modification land. I had to modify the housing a bit to get it to snap up in there-pictures to follow. But the pipe/bar that goes across is about 1/16" too high, and it wont quite go in all the way. Its getting dark, so Ill look at it again tomorrow some time. This is doable, its just that last little bit.

Hers the piece I cut out.

Then I realized that I needed some more off.

And the piece I cut off.

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hate those compression things ive broken so many i lost count... I still havent gotten to that escalade but its a completely custom job nothing that can not be purchased... Just like wat ccreddell is doing... Which is a really great job btw...

Last edited:

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome ...

Hopefully I will be headed to "Pull A Part" junk yard Friday (payday) to find me one of those ash trey setups ...
and maybe a few other parts as well ... if I can find what I'm looking for