Caspian’s ‘96 ECSB C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I bought a 3/8-16 Heli Coil kit at O’Really’s, after going “oh really” at their minuscule selection of bolts for a bigger store. Punched the hole out to 25/64” which is the required size for the 3/8”-16 Heli-Coil, tapped the hole 25/64” then installed the Heli-Coil, went flush, then a full turn below flush netted an almost similar hole as the factory hole.

I got the starter bolted, changed the oil and filter while I was under there, fired her up and it started great, no grind or nothing, however you put it in Reverse and it’d grind, shut it off and it’d grind.

Flexplate was hitting the very tip of the bendix, well this damned starter has three different ways to shim it, so in order to shim it back away from the flexplate, you take three bolts out, pop the motor case off the face/bendix, pull the bendix assembly out, put the little round shim in and put it back together. Now I’ve got a slight grind on start up so I need to shim it down a little with a regular shim.

So after all this, I’m like yay I’m home free, we’ll someone put a huge ******* rock in the alleyway behind my house, I’m thinking to keep people from trying to go through there even though it’s an electric company easement right of way. Dad warned me about it, so I’m creeping along, I go over this sum *****, think I’m alright, get to the street and proceed down and around the corner to the house, died on me twice partially in the yard/street.

So at this point I’m like wth, it’s never done this to me before, stone cold dead, no key or nothing so it’s a direct ground situation. Try to take the negative off and it’s hot and arcs like crazy. Dad is saying it’s the damned starter, I say its something else. I get it jacked up enough to get my ****** under it, starter is fine, oh there’s the problem. Rock pushed the damned battery cable up against the exhaust manifold is my only guess and it melted to the manifold and ground out. I pryed it off the manifold and got it started and up in the yard.

So tomorrow I need to put a new negative cable on, and shim the damned starter. If it’s not one damn thing it’s another. I’m tired and cold, peace out for now!

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
‘Twas positive, not negative, in my tiredness and the darkness and someone using a black cable for the positive, I thought it was the negative.

Either way I got it fixed. I shimmed the starter all the way across with 2 shims and no change for engagement so I guess I’ll have to try to shim just the inside bolt and see what it does. At least I can drive it now, and the grind is slight, nothing major like it was.

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, long time no see lol.

I have since moved houses, towns, further west in this state than I've ever lived.. 50 something miles from OKC now.. this truck went to a now former friend. I used it to move back at the end of January first of February, then he wound up needing a truck, I got ****** on a deal we made, needless to say that's why he's now a former friend, amongst other drama he's done.

I quit my job last week, was costing me nearly $250 in fuel every month, I had to get up at 4am to make it to work and started at 6am, took me longer to get home. Place pretty much robbed me of a few years off my life with all the BS I had to deal with lol. I have a new job that's WAY closer I'm fixing to start, I'm selling my S10 tomorrow and buying a 1988 RCLB C3500 SRW with 350/TH400 tomorrow evening. I've got some property now and need to clean it up so I needed a truck that is a bit more capable than a lowered S10 with a 4cyl lol. So I'll start a new thread for that once it's home and I get off into it. This thing is rough so I'm gonna have to fix it up cosmetically.

Thought I'd update since it's been so long lol.