Carb back to TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-cl110931-11/overview/make/chevrolet, might be a little big for great mileage. but I would run it. Good compromise of power and economy.

The vortec intakes are a little pricey. Annoying since really the only difference is bolt hole location. You can have your vortec heads machined to accept old style manifolds. But that negates the purpose of not buy the vortec manifold in the first place. Personally I would use Edelbrock. But its so much easier to spend someone else money, isn't it? I haven't heard to many complaints about other brands. Other than Professional Products. But I know people that run them with no problems.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-52001/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2701/overview/make/chevrolet
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wnd-8120/overview/make/chevrolet
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-226008/overview/make/chevrolet

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so you think i should stick with my heads and get the edelbrock intake. i am all ears on this, i dont really know much about the subject. im trying to get the best power/economy i can, without spending a god awful lot of money.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I would go with the vortec. With the first cam I linked. And a edelbrock performer vortec intake. A with a Carb rebuild. Have someone knowledgeable tune it for you. Tuning will make a world of difference. But now you have part numbers and options which ever way you choose to go.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would go with the vortec. With the first cam I linked. And a edelbrock performer vortec intake. A with a Carb rebuild. Have someone knowledgeable tune it for you. Tuning will make a world of difference. But now you have part numbers and options which ever way you choose to go.

Can you send me a link to that intake. I am not really good at navigating through summits site. Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it

Sent from my 355 pwered Galaxy Tab 3

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Older intakes won't work on a vortec head. It's more than just bolt location.

The intake ports are "massive" by comparison to an traditional SBC. A traditional SBC intake won't even cover the ports.

To use vortec heads you need to fork out the cash on a vortec conversion intake.

Good news is you can find a nice dual plane conversion intake (for a 4bbl) and run either a carb in it or you can use a 2bbl adapter plate and run tbi.

:)

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Older intakes won't work on a vortec head. It's more than just bolt location.

The intake ports are "massive" by comparison to an traditional SBC. A traditional SBC intake won't even cover the ports.

To use vortec heads you need to fork out the cash on a vortec conversion intake.

Good news is you can find a nice dual plane conversion intake (for a 4bbl) and run either a carb in it or you can use a 2bbl adapter plate and run tbi.

One of my machinist preferred old style intakes on vortec heads. He just didn't "trust" 4 bolts per side. 165 cc is hardly massive compared to any other stock head. And all the the intakes in the last post are vortec specific.

I don't like to argue. But i have seen it done on many occasions. So I know it is perfectly possible. I highly respect everything you post here. But I must respectfully disagree on this one.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Standard SBC intake on vortec heads:

You must be registered for see images attach

TPI lower on vortec heads:

You must be registered for see images attach

Only way it will work is to use a raised port runner intake and then port match as well as re-drill the holes and use angled spacers to support the bolt heads properly. Or use a standard SBC intake, weld the crap out of the upper runner, machine it and do all the previously mentioned work.

Or buy a proper vortec conversion manifold.

I'm not saying you can't make a SBC work, you can. But by the time you get all the work and time into it you've spent more than just buying the vortec intake manifold.

It's also more practical for a backyard wrench to just bolt on and go.

Not trying to argue, just putting out what I went through with my vortec headed TPI conversion in my 89 K1500. May it rust in peace. I ended up buying the very pricey when it came out Scoggin-Dickey vortec TPI base manifold after a couple rounds of welding on a stocker. That didn't work out well...:rolleyes:

My only point is to get the right manifold when you order one.

Last edited: