Carb back to TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
as the title says i want to ditch the carb and go back to tbi or other fuel injection system.

the PO decided to put a mid 80s or back 355 carb motor in a 92 z71. im not sure why he did this, and i don't want it anymore.

i am wanting to run vortec heads, cause i have a set laying around.

i would like to go back to tbi. but if it is easier to go to the vortec style intake i have one of those also.

i have the tbi intake also if i were to go with factory style heads.

another idea floating around is a 454 tbi swap out of a suburban. with this will my 700r4 with a stage 2 shift kit and beefier parts inside hold up to the bbc

with this said what are yalls ideas, opinions, and what would yall do. i have access to good parts for relatively cheap.
thanks for the help.

How it looks now.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Any reason why you want to go back to the TBI?

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What would yall do. Keep the carb, or switch back to the factory tbi set up with some mods. mods being vortec heads, different intake, everything cleaned up and smoothed out. maybe a cam if anybody has a good one in mind, something that would help low end torque. im not looking for a powerhouse or a stump puller. just a good all around engine. thanks to anybody that can point me in the right direction.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
It would probably be a big conversion to go back to TBI unless you had a donor truck to work off of. I'd be afraid if the harness was all cut up you'd have to start from scratch. If you got the time and the patience, going back wouldn't be a bad idea compared to the carb.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
What would I di?

Tuned port on the existing engine from a donor car with an upgraded tunnel ram style plenum.

But that's just me.

:)

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe all the wires are still there. But im not sure. I have a place where I can get all the wiring and everything right out of one of these trucks.
Would anybody go through the trouble of converting it back to tbi. I need to get better mpg. Thats tbe only reason that I am wanting to go back.

Anybody know exactly what I would need to go back to tbi. A detailed list would be very helpful and appreciated.
Sent from my 355 pwered Galaxy Tab 3

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
It's not cheap though....:)

Yeah but if it is a 355 and doesnt know what else was done to it, it could be more worth his while as far as the computer is concerned. Junkyards make it a little easier on the wallet.

Sent from Robland