Tbi to carb.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lunchboxxx

Reaction score
I know it's been asked. But I'm not seeing the answers I need. Going to be converting a 1998 vortec 350 to carb. I was wondering what all I need. I'm going to be using a rochester 2g carb. And a turbo 400 or 350 behind it. Also looking for a nice cam. Will be for off road use only. With run time of average 20-60 minutes with spirts of high rpms and high Temps.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1st truck was an 89 that I converted to carb. While it was tbi and you have vortec, there is much similarity. Here's what I did on my truck. I got an intake manifold that fit the heads, I used edelbrock, but other companies make a carb/vortec intake as well. Then, I got an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with 3 ports. You need this so the excess fuel flow can return to the tank. Drop a gm hei distributor in there, and you're good to go.
Of course you'll need to be somewhat skilled at wiring the distributor, and adapt such things as throttle cable and the whatnots that bolt onto the intake. Overall, a fairly simple swap.
As for a cam recommendation, I've been out of the gasser world too long, others will have to chime in on that.

lunchboxxx

Reaction score
My 1st truck was an 89 that I converted to carb. While it was tbi and you have vortec, there is much similarity. Here's what I did on my truck. I got an intake manifold that fit the heads, I used edelbrock, but other companies make a carb/vortec intake as well. Then, I got an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with 3 ports. You need this so the excess fuel flow can return to the tank. Drop a gm hei distributor in there, and you're good to go.
Of course you'll need to be somewhat skilled at wiring the distributor, and adapt such things as throttle cable and the whatnots that bolt onto the intake. Overall, a fairly simple swap.
As for a cam recommendation, I've been out of the gasser world too long, others will have to chime in on that.
What intake did you use? And I was thinking of using a msd box. I already have a fuel pump/pressure system ready to go.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh wow. It was 20+ years ago that I did my swap. If memory serves me correctly, there was only 1 intake available at the time from edelbrock to do such a swap. I've always been an edelbrock guy for gasser stuff, so that's what I used. Search for vortec to carb intakes. Unless you're going for that last little hp, a simple dual-plane intake will get you in the running. In reality, any of the carb swap intakes for vortec heads will work. Google and summit are your friends! Google for the search, summit for the parts and service!
The msb ignition is a great choice, I chose gm hei for cheap simplicity.

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a generic dual plane q jet manifold. 140 bucks and a Dremel to port match the intake it's worth it.
You must be registered for see images attach