Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m new here. I know this has been covered to some degree but it seems to be more related to trans problems.

I recently did a motor and trans swap in my 1990 gmc c1500. I put a crate 350 and th350 in That I had from a previous project year ago. When I got the truck the harness was already butchered and an electrical nightmare, the engine leaked out of every seal just about and the 700r4 leaked from multiple seals and wouldn’t go into over drive. But I figured the body was clean and didn’t really have any rust so it would be a good project truck. My issue that I keep running into is no matter what I do the fuel pump keeps losing power. The purple wire with the white line from the 4 prong distributor wire is plugged to the tach port of the hei distributor.

I would really like to just get rid of the ecm all together. I believe that’s the main source of the problem. Prior to the swap there were voltage issues at the tps, injectors, map sensor.

So my question is how do I configure the fuel pump without the ecm?

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to LSX + Carb Swaps sub-forum.

Route fused power from a source that is "hot" only when the key is turned to "Run" or "Crank" to a normally-open oil pressure switch that closes when the engine has oil pressure. The original engine had one beside the distributor, re-use it. Or get a new one intended for the original engine, perhaps. Power out of the switch goes to the fuel pump.

Probably worth routing new wire back to the tank, connecting to the original harness using the weather-sealed connector body and a fresh pin. Make sure the pump ground wire to the frame is in good shape and has a nice, clean connection at the framerail.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go to post 28 it explains how you can use a TPS on your carb and get the trans working without buying a controller: