Canadian/Mexican Trucks in the USA?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Labor costs aren't just driven by wages, but I know what you're saying. Politics in Canada and the US will follow the lead of capital in most cases.

What I meant by the used comment was that original manufacturers don't benefit in any way from secondary market sales. Once a vehicle has been titled the OEM has gotten everything out of it they're gonna get.

Yes, there are other factors as well to wages that create labor costs.

Ohh...gotcha. Yes, OEM manufacturers only benefit from the new purchase of a vehicle. I was thinking about who took care of the vehicle.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Blazer, but my F250 was built in Canada. Oddly, my Q60 is a Canadian market vehicle, but was built in Japan.

Just put your VIN of your blazer in a VIN Decoder and it'll tell you where it was made.

Chances are your Q60 was selling on the Canadian market, and someone either:

A. Moved to the US and sold it around until it got to you.

B. Someone crossed the border, bought the vehicle, and drove it to the US before selling it off

C. Someone privately purchased it from Canada and had it imported to the US. For whatever reason, didn't want it anymore and sold it until it got to you.

Only likely scenarios I could think of. There are taxes/laws in place that discourage people from importing cars which is a shame. I'd love to have a Canadian Built Canadian Marketed truck. You think me living in a border state, I'd see them more often, but I rarely have ever seen one. For the most part, American marketed vehicles stay here and Canadian marketed ones stay over there.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a really good article a few years back about how Toyota was making more money building auto factories than selling cars. They could go into regional markets and set up auto factories for other manufacturers cheaper than that company could build a giant plant and ship cars around the world. They figured out that a roboticized plant required a lot of setup and specialized engineers, and every time there was an engineering change, someone had to go out and re-engineer the manufacturing process as well. Instead, in smaller markets they built single-conveyor-belt plants that can be reconfigured in a couple days. The upshot is that countries that have a lower level of industrialization could use Toyota's processes and build cars for the local market. Typically they're building older designs of economy cars that are no longer sold here, but suit those markets well.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I read a really good article a few years back about how Toyota was making more money building auto factories than selling cars. They could go into regional markets and set up auto factories for other manufacturers cheaper than that company could build a giant plant and ship cars around the world. They figured out that a roboticized plant required a lot of setup and specialized engineers, and every time there was an engineering change, someone had to go out and re-engineer the manufacturing process as well. Instead, in smaller markets they built single-conveyor-belt plants that can be reconfigured in a couple days. The upshot is that countries that have a lower level of industrialization could use Toyota's processes and build cars for the local market. Typically they're building older designs of economy cars that are no longer sold here, but suit those markets well.

Yeah, that makes sense. I've been interested in buying a used Corolla or used Camry for some time now. According to the Wikipedia pages, the platforms for the Corolla and Camry were not all produced in the same time frame, like how 1999 saw both GMT400 and GMT800 trucks being built and 2007 when GMT800 and GMT900 trucks were being built. So depending on what country it was sold in, the model year may not be the same platform as the same Corolla or Camry in another country.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind an imported Mexican two door 2wd Tahoe.

That would be cool. If I could buy a GMT400 all over again, I'd want to buy a Canadian Built Canadian Marketed Pickup with the Vortec 5700, Z71, ECSB, Third door and the F44 package. Basically all I have rn minus the US marketed truck and the non F44 package.

I did get a shop to swap a 14b sf in though. Still need to get some driveshaft work done and maybe get a shop to swap out the standard 4 leaf rear leaf springs for the 5 leaf rear leaf springs. I'd like to get the complete F44 package.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just put your VIN of your blazer in a VIN Decoder and it'll tell you where it was made.

Chances are your Q60 was selling on the Canadian market, and someone either:

A. Moved to the US and sold it around until it got to you.

B. Someone crossed the border, bought the vehicle, and drove it to the US before selling it off

C. Someone privately purchased it from Canada and had it imported to the US. For whatever reason, didn't want it anymore and sold it until it got to you.

Only likely scenarios I could think of. There are taxes/laws in place that discourage people from importing cars which is a shame. I'd love to have a Canadian Built Canadian Marketed truck. You think me living in a border state, I'd see them more often, but I rarely have ever seen one. For the most part, American marketed vehicles stay here and Canadian marketed ones stay over there.

I'm in WA, the closest Infiniti dealership is actually in Vancouver. It's also an iline, which is a Canada only trim level above the top trim we get in the US. I've thought about doing the same when I looked at a civic/integra for a gas saving daily, the Canada market models are much better equipped than the US market models for the same price.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm in WA, the closest Infiniti dealership is actually in Vancouver. It's also an iline, which is a Canada only trim level above the top trim we get in the US. I've thought about doing the same when I looked at a civic/integra for a gas saving daily, the Canada market models are much better equipped than the US market models for the same price.

Being in WA, someone likely crossed the border and bought it in Canada and brought it here. If you're able to go to Canada and buy a car, I'd do it. I live in MN, but I live in SE MN so it's 300+ miles from Fort Frances, ON and Thunder Bay, ON which are the 2 closest major cities near the border. Not sure if it's worth it for me, but maybe someday I'll cross the border and buy a Canadian spec truck for myself.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Bit of a stupid question, but this is the help section after all...

I have a 1997 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 with the Vortec 5700. It was built in Oshawa, ON, Canada for the US Market

Anyways, something I've always wondered, but has never been asked on this forum is why are there Canadian built pickups and Mexican built SUVs here in the US? I've been surfing car-part.com and noticed that most trucks up in Canada are Canadian built, but a couple are US built. Canadian pickups (non imports) seem to be quite common here in the US and I know that 2 door Tahoes were built in Silao, Guanajuato, Mexico. Because we (in the US) have Fort Wayne, IN and Pontiac, MI that built pickups and Arlington, TX that built Tahoes/Yukons/Escalades/Suburbans and some pickups and Janesville, WI that also built Tahoes and Suburbans, what was the need to import pickups or SUVs here. Also why did US (non import) pickups end up in Canada?

Also, the main differences I've noticed with Canadian built non imported pickups vs Canadian built Canadian pickups is the MPH and KPH speedometer/odometer and the door jam sticker.

Here's my Canadian built non import sticker and speedometer/odometer:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a Canadian built Canadian pickup sticker and speedometer/odometer:

They have been building cars in Canada since the Ford model T
This is where i will pause for a second and seriously recomend that you subscribe to "cold war motors" on youtube.
If you and your knucklehead buddies have ever smoked a bowl and knocked down some **** beer and suceeded and came out ******* champs from the ******** you were trying to do.
Scott Newstead figgures that he is just a chucklehead dope just like the rest of us.
And he is a normal really humble dope like the rest of us.
But you people really need to take a look at his plymouth fury project.
I am certified to do all kinds of metal things.
I can forge weld and flat hammer .
I made my early way in this industry because I could figure out bend deductions.
I know my business.
I am a very good at my profession.
Aint no way in hell that I would ever have the ******** to try that crazed project and let the world watch while you did it.
The big difference is that if I **** up a job I get sued or fired or whatever.
That fuckery happens in private in the courts .
And none of that matters at all.
My 4th ex wife. The ex wife before my last ex wife.
Maybe. I cant use all of there names at the same time without summoning a demon and causing the end of the world.
She sent me a pic of all of my Jimmy Buffet tickets that she stole from me.
I reminded her about us rolling around in a sleeping bag trying to get laid while the sun was coming up and the beach bucket burrito guy wouldnt go away.
So I picked up what I thought was a rock but it was actually a dead trigger fish.
So I kind of halfway pulled myself out of the sleeping bag which pretty much stuffed her deep into the sleeping bag and I head slapped this guy with a dead trigger fish.
So he smashed a bucket burrito in my face and then hit me with the bucket.
Just some basic advice.
If you ever get into a dead fish burrito early morning beach fight?
Put your pants back on before you start wailing away with that fish club.
Five gallons of bucket burritos will knock you right the **** out like a broken lightbulb.
He took the fish too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf