Canadian/Mexican Trucks in the USA?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If you ever wanted to know where your Suburbans were sold, you could get a CarFax report. 5/$100 but it's worth it for peace of mind if you want.

I figured the Crew Cab was US built. I briefly looked into buying a 3/4 ton pickup and all the VIN numbers said they were US made. Congrats on the find! Did you get it out of an estate sale? Most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks rarely have such few miles. Even now a 130K 1/2 ton is rare. I just got a 14 bolt sf rear axle installed in my truck with 183K on the donor truck and I thought that was low mileage compared to my 240K truck.
In a way it was.....long story a little bit shorter, the grandson of the original owner put it on craigslist in San Antonio area. Another member of the group in SA saw it, couldn't get it himself, so he reposted it on here. I was looking at the forum, waiting for my breakfast at Whataburger (how Texas is that?)and I saw the ad. Looked at the pictures, called him up, liked what I heard and saw, so now I had two tasks. Finding the money and convincing my brother and Mom that this would be a good addition to the family. We had several great shows last year so I had a "truck fund" started, but at the time I thought it would be for Burb repairs....
So we collected the $$ and got the deal rolling. He brought the truck here from the family property and we did the sale.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The mileage is that low because after grandpa passed, the family didn't drive it much. Mainly to keep the battery up and tow a boat from time to time. Interior is practically new, and underhood is more dusty than oily. Body has a little damage, but it's a work truck. Perfect appearance is not required, performance is the important thing. And it does!

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In a way it was.....long story a little bit shorter, the grandson of the original owner put it on craigslist in San Antonio area. Another member of the group in SA saw it, couldn't get it himself, so he reposted it on here. I was looking at the forum, waiting for my breakfast at Whataburger (how Texas is that?)and I saw the ad. Looked at the pictures, called him up, liked what I heard and saw, so now I had two tasks. Finding the money and convincing my brother and Mom that this would be a good addition to the family. We had several great shows last year so I had a "truck fund" started, but at the time I thought it would be for Burb repairs....
So we collected the $$ and got the deal rolling. He brought the truck here from the family property and we did the sale.

Wow...You got SUPER lucky. Definitely a Texan sized adventure!

I live with my parents and yeah, it can be hard to convince them how great these trucks are. Especially when I've had 2 transmissions and 2 rear axles put in. I just got a 14 bolt sf installed at my local Buick GMC shop under the condition that there is no warranty (customer supplied/used parts) and I supplied all the parts. There's a VERY mild vibration on deceleration and I'm getting that fixed next month at a driveshaft shop 45 minutes from my house.

Also, while I prefer the looks of the pickups over the SUVs, I'm getting more and more jealous of how many features you SUV owners get over my pickup. Other than Z71 and factory oversize tires (265 75 R16 vs 245 75 R16) and SOME rear axles being 14 bolt, even a base model Suburban or Tahoe has about as many features as my upper mid tier Silverado trim pickup.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The mileage is that low because after grandpa passed, the family didn't drive it much. Mainly to keep the battery up and tow a boat from time to time. Interior is practically new, and underhood is more dusty than oily. Body has a little damage, but it's a work truck. Perfect appearance is not required, performance is the important thing. And it does!

Yeah I've heard people love the towing capacity of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks/Suburbans. I figured it was an elderly owner given how such few miles are on the truck. I'm glad you like it! I have a few, but very long and deep scratches alongside my truck. My truck spent most of its life in rural suburbs of Jefferson City so its a mix of forest and farmland on a mix of dirt and paved roads. Bought my truck at auction so I never met the previous owner, but from what I could gather inside the truck, the previous owner bought the truck from central MO and brought it over to the St. Louis Area, they worked for a remodeling company and they used this truck for their construction job. The company went defunct and then their truck was repossessed and put up for sale at auction, when I bought it and had it shipped up to MN.

I have no idea how a (then) 25 year old vehicle with (then) 233K miles gets repossessed. The bank thinks our trucks are near worthless.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good question! I know GM had a huge complex of plants in Silao, Mexico. Both my '99 Burbs were built there. GM Arlington used to build the fullsize cars; they beat out a plant in Michigan to get that job. Then in '96 when the B bodies were done, they switched over to SUVs.
I know labor costs are a lot lower down south, so if they can build them well there, GM will keep running those plants. From what I've heard, this complex has raw materials coming in one side and finished vehicles coming out the other side.
Kinda like Dodge kept touting the Challenger as an American muscle car....but they are built in Canada.
Didn’t realize until I just checked that my ‘96 Suburban was built in Mexico. Not sure where my ‘93 was built, just that it was upfitted in California.