The POSuburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake_Caulley

Reaction score
Thought I'd share the ongoing build of my 99 K1500 Suburban.
I've had this truck for years. It's mainly used as a winter beater and tow/hunting rig these days. I built the L31 about 13,000 miles ago but have been chasing wiring related issues for that have made the truck less than reliable for a couple years. I decided that it was time to ditch the buggy 0411 controlled EFI and go aftermarket.
I'm a fan of Holley EFI as that is what I've got running my turbocharged 1985 Corvette so I decided that I'd try one of the newer Terminator X Max systems here. I had an LQ4 on the stand that was earmarked for the Corvette but figured "why would I go to all of the trouble and expense of aftermarket EFI but stick with the SBC when I've got an LS just sitting here?" I also happened to have a spare turbocharger and it just kind of spiraled from there...
You must be registered for see images attach

In went the 6 liter, ebay turbocharger manifold, and ICT Billet accessory drive.
You must be registered for see images attach

It's difficult to get a good picture but the TermX ecu and IO expansion module are mounted on a tray under the dash. I made it easy to remove for service. Learned my lesson on that one on the car. This one is a 5 minute job to remove. The one in the car is a much more involved process...
I'm also using a water to air intercooler as there isn't a real good spot to cleanly mount an air to air. So far: I really like the water to air one. The intercooler is mounted horizontal under the radiator support and the heat exchanger is a small radiator in front of the AC condenser.
I had a 4L80E built for the task and as I had to change the T case anyhow, I ditched the pushbutton 4wd for a lever shifted case. (I hate pushbutton 4wd.)
Knowing that the 10 bolt would likely explode behind this combo, I swapped in a 14 bolt SF.
I also added a flex fuel sensor so the truck can run on either premium or E85.
The fuel system was also beefed up: it now has two 340lph pumps. (Runs on the primary in tank, the Holley commands the second one on when needed.)
One of the challenges was the fuel level gauge. I ended up running the sender to the Holley and making a PWM table that runs the gauge.
Unfortunately, the rust is starting to take this truck. My plan is to find a clean 3+3 and move all of this fun stuff (minus the axle as the new truck will have a matching FF 14 bolt) to do a restomod on.