Canadian/Mexican Trucks in the USA?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW! I knew the USD was strong, but not THAT strong. Still surprised that GM needs plants in Mexico and Canada to fulfill US demand though.
It's not about demand, it's about maintaining the illusion of an American built truck while extracting the maximum profit possible. It's a global market wether we like it or not. Toyota trucks are built in Indiana, Nissan trucks are built in Mississippi, BMW builds it's SUVs in South Carolina, hell, Honda has built cars in the US since the 80's. So does that make them more American than a Canada or Mexico built GM?

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not about demand, it's about maintaining the illusion of an American built truck while extracting the maximum profit possible. It's a global market wether we like it or not. Toyota trucks are built in Indiana, Nissan trucks are built in Mississippi, BMW builds it's SUVs in South Carolina, hell, Honda has built cars in the US since the 80's. So does that make them more American than a Canada or Mexico built GM?

Lol I've gotten into this conversation more times than I like to admit. I don't really care where cars are built as long as they're built well. I just found it strange that for there being a bunch of GMT400 plants here in the US, why export labor out, or why build them here in the US at all if it's cheaper to do it in Canada/Mexico?

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m not sure it’s necessarily cheaper in Canada. Since they buy many US cars, they probably want a piece of the action.

Figured that if it wasn't business, it was politics. I figured this thread's answer would be a mix of business and politics which is why these trucks were made in Canada/Mexico.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figured that if it wasn't business, it was politics. I figured this thread's answer would be a mix of business and politics which is why these trucks were made in Canada/Mexico.
Politics follow business in this case.
Lol I've gotten into this conversation more times than I like to admit. I don't really care where cars are built as long as they're built well. I just found it strange that for there being a bunch of GMT400 plants here in the US, why export labor out, or why build them here in the US at all if it's cheaper to do it in Canada/Mexico?
The other part of the discussion is that country of origin makes absolutely zero difference when buying used.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Politics follow business in this case.

The other part of the discussion is that country of origin makes absolutely zero difference when buying used.

Figured politics is why my Canadian built US marketed truck has spent all but a few months in the USA. Labor shouldn't be cheaper as workers in Oshawa are usually UAW members (they went on strike in October 1996 and overran the plant) but as @Caman96 said, they likely want a piece of our action.

100% agree on the 2nd point as well. Some used vehicles are like new (like my parents). Mine have lived a life and some repairs were done well while others...not so much.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figured politics is why my Canadian built US marketed truck has spent all but a few months in the USA. Labor shouldn't be cheaper as workers in Oshawa are usually UAW members (they went on strike in October 1996 and overran the plant) but as @Caman96 said, they likely want a piece of our action.

100% agree on the 2nd point as well. Some used vehicles are like new (like my parents). Mine have lived a life and some repairs were done well while others...not so much.
Labor costs aren't just driven by wages, but I know what you're saying. Politics in Canada and the US will follow the lead of capital in most cases.

What I meant by the used comment was that original manufacturers don't benefit in any way from secondary market sales. Once a vehicle has been titled the OEM has gotten everything out of it they're gonna get.