Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Otherwise maybe you could find one in a salvage yard? I've never seen the stock radiator be inadequate for my truck, so I don't see any real reason to look for something with more capacity.

DirtBag

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would think any local Radiator or muffler shop could get you a reman or a new one. I bought a big aluminum 4 core for my 79 Bronco a few years back at a Radiator shop a few towns over. Got a great deal and it had a great warranty that I've never needed. I never skimp on cooling system parts..they have away of coming back to haunt you....kinda like fat chicks.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Nearest Radiator shop said they could do it for $100 bucks, but it'd be about a week before they could get to it.

So I've got a Murray radiator coming in tomorrow; I was mulling around on whether or not I should do the waterpump, but I decided to just put in the new rad and maybe figure out a fan upgrade.
And a side note, my local Napa sucks ass. The online page said they were opened until 6; I get there around 5:15 or so and there's not a soul to be found. Thank god the new O'Reilly's had the sensible dudes working the counter.

I kicked around and found a thread about the S10 fan (11-blade composite fan) and I know a member on here who had a 98 454 swapped an 11-blade fan from a 350 onto the fan clutch on his truck; are the bolt patterns all the same between small block and big block for fans? My truck runs at 210 or a tick over, some of the stuff I've read states that normal, but I'd like to run it a bit cooler if I can manage.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/update-on-my-11-blade-clutch-fan-vs-original-5-blade-fan.21028/

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Nearest Radiator shop said they could do it for $100 bucks, but it'd be about a week before they could get to it.

So I've got a Murray radiator coming in tomorrow; I was mulling around on whether or not I should do the waterpump, but I decided to just put in the new rad and maybe figure out a fan upgrade.
And a side note, my local Napa sucks ass. The online page said they were opened until 6; I get there around 5:15 or so and there's not a soul to be found. Thank god the new O'Reilly's had the sensible dudes working the counter.

I kicked around and found a thread about the S10 fan (11-blade composite fan) and I know a member on here who had a 98 454 swapped an 11-blade fan from a 350 onto the fan clutch on his truck; are the bolt patterns all the same between small block and big block for fans? My truck runs at 210 or a tick over, some of the stuff I've read states that normal, but I'd like to run it a bit cooler if I can manage.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/update-on-my-11-blade-clutch-fan-vs-original-5-blade-fan.21028/
Just look under the burbs hood and your hood for comparison. Id imagine the bolt pattern is the same but i could be wrong, drooling over daves engine bay is the closest ive came to being under a big block hood.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Have you checked your thermostat and fan clutch? The stock fan should be more than enough to cool it down.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Have you checked your thermostat and fan clutch? The stock fan should be more than enough to cool it down.

Thermostat is new; I had one put in when the injectors got done, I did test the fan clutch and it's working properly.
I'm just going to put the radiator in for now, I'll probably get a new thermostat, a new fan clutch, and the S10 fan done later. I need to get this thing back on the road.

Just look under the burbs hood and your hood for comparison. Id imagine the bolt pattern is the same but i could be wrong, drooling over daves engine bay is the closest ive came to being under a big block hood.

Duh, I forgot that thing had an 11-blade fan.