Update on my 11 blade clutch fan vs original 5 blade fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
This is just to update everyone on my 5 blade to 11 blade clutch fan swap.
Remember, I run a severe duty clutch on my truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

The 5 blade fan roared in the morning when clutch was cold. It stayed on for at least a mile before the clutch released.
With the 11 blade fan it only takes a 1/4 mile for the clutch to disengage.
When hot, the clutch engages for a longer amount of time with the 5 blade compared to the 11 blade fan.
A/C was cool at idle but not cold until you started moving (5 blade). A/C is now cold at all times with the 11 blade fan (40 degrees or less on a 95 degree day)
The sound of the 11 blade when the clutch is engaged is similar to a large diameter electric fan on high speed.
When the clutch is disengaged, you can barely hear the 11 blade fan yet it's pulling far more air than the 5 blade.

For those of you that tow regularly and can't go with electric fans, I highly recommend this swap.
For those of you with a 7 blade fan (big block and diesel trucks), I'm not sure if this would be a viable option for your truck. But I would bet that the 11 blade will pull more air than the 7 blade.
Composite 11 blade fan NAPA part # NOE 8552223

Laters:

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Yep when I had my 96 I did this very same thing except I used a fan and clutch from a 99-02 truck. I loved mine and the sound difference was awesome! No more jet powered truck while the clutch was engaged

Sent from DAS DOOLAY!!!

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I guess I should mention that I got the idea from a guy on FSC forum. He did it to his express van.
Props to him.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
You only need the fan to do the swap but I had just pulled the clutch and fan when I did mine since my factory clutch was shot

Sent from DAS DOOLAY!!!

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
how hard is the swap

Do you have a tbi or vortec? I onky have experience with vortecs on this swap, on a vortec if you swap the fan and clutch you literally spin the old one off and spin the new one on.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Can't remember the size, but IIRC, use a 3/4" or 7/8" open end wrench on the nut behind the fan. Hold onto one of the fan blades tightly, and give the wrench a good shot. Should break it loose from the clutch.