Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I see a cam upgrade as power GM left on the table, so I want it regardless of if I'm pulling or not. My top end is extremely weak which could be exhaust but I just don't know. Since the Whipple box intercepts my MAF signal there's no telling what it's doing. I also HATE the shift points, my truck will not allow itself to grunt along without downshifting and spinning all that metal to its worthless red line. In its present form, it's not very useful but it does function which is nice as the blue truck is now under the knife for the marine intake and supercharger. Spider took a dump so it's time to pull the trigger.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I see a cam upgrade as power GM left on the table, so I want it regardless of if I'm pulling or not. My top end is extremely weak which could be exhaust but I just don't know. Since the Whipple box intercepts my MAF signal there's no telling what it's doing. I also HATE the shift points, my truck will not allow itself to grunt along without downshifting and spinning all that metal to its worthless red line. In its present form, it's not very useful but it does function which is nice as the blue truck is now under the knife for the marine intake and supercharger. Spider took a dump so it's time to pull the trigger.

Agreed on the cam upgrade, GM's 454 Cam is a pretty bland design from what I've read, how is the exhaust on your truck, and is it still running the black box or have you upgraded to a 411 like you did with the K1500?
I've been researching but I don't have a damn clue about tuning, I'm hoping to get a scan-gauge so I can more accurately monitor everything but I don't think it's got any tuning abilities?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure exhaust is worse than stock, have the 411 but haven't swapped yet. Waiting until blue truck is healthy again. Plus I need to send out 8 more injectors to get cleaned. HPTuners can deal with the black box.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should really try doing that stuff yourself. I hate to pressure you, but the intake gaskets and fuel injectors are a really easy 1/2 day of work. As long as you take a minute to mark the distributor in ways that make sense to you later, it's all easily doable, no special tools needed.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
You should really try doing that stuff yourself. I hate to pressure you, but the intake gaskets and fuel injectors are a really easy 1/2 day of work. As long as you take a minute to mark the distributor in ways that make sense to you later, it's all easily doable, no special tools needed.

I know it's easy, but I don't really have time or a place to work on it with my current work schedule;

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No need to mark the distributor, I guessed on the 454 and got it within 11 degrees so not even enough to throw a CEL. The body points at an intuitive angle relative to the intake and the rotor points at the number 8 cast into the lower housing with #1 at TDC on the compression stroke. It'll take longer to drop the truck off and wait for it to get fixed than it would to do the work yourself. Don't need a garage for something this easy.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
No need to mark the distributor, I guessed on the 454 and got it within 11 degrees so not even enough to throw a CEL. The body points at an intuitive angle relative to the intake and the rotor points at the number 8 cast into the lower housing with #1 at TDC on the compression stroke. It'll take longer to drop the truck off and wait for it to get fixed than it would to do the work yourself. Don't need a garage for something this easy.

I'm dropping the truck off tomorrow, mechanic said he'll have it done in a day, and he's taking the intake to be hot tanked and cleaned;

One of the biggest factors as to why I can't work on stuff is my parents don't want me to tear apart my truck in the driveway, I can't wait til I get my own place....soon I hope...

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Okay, so tons of updates.
Got the truck back from the mechanic last weekend, runs better but still feels down on power, my mechanic said my ECM could be bad as it was throwing some random codes that only showed up on the scanner; still needs a couple things and then I can start on other maintenance.

Took my running boards off, wound up just breaking the studs instead of trying to get the bolt off, painted my frame and wheel wells, and I picked up some plasti-dip to do some experimenting with the cosmetics.

You must be registered for see images attach