Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How about a rear disc conversion? I bought the kit for my truck, have yet to put them on though

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
How about a rear disc conversion? I bought the kit for my truck, have yet to put them on though

Eh, I'd prefer to just upgrade the drums, I've never really paid attention to disc rear so I don't know how labor intensive the conversion would be;

You forgot a cam swap

Cam will more than likely come when I rebuild the engine, I want one that will give ample power for towing and daily driving, won't murder my mileage anymore (really doesn't matter cause Big Block), and has a little bit of lump to the idle, any ideas of what would fit this bill?

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Eh, I'd prefer to just upgrade the drums, I've never really paid attention to disc rear so I don't know how labor intensive the conversion would be;

Cam will more than likely come when I rebuild the engine, I want one that will give ample power for towing and daily driving, won't murder my mileage anymore (really doesn't matter cause Big Block), and has a little bit of lump to the idle, any ideas of what would fit this bill?
I couldn't recommend one for that unfortunately, my cam search was limited to smooth idle and ability to tune to pass CA smog.

I've heard good things about 112 ICL, under 220 duration for torque.
More lift than .500 may be beneficial i think, though limited to valve clearance in how much.

I've learned these become a slippery slope real quick haha.
Leaking fuel injector turns into intake gasket, turns in to full on cam swap :D

While you have the heads off for the cam swap, don't forget to swap heads for aluminum. Best way to help your GVWR by cutting 300lbs off the engine :D

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Heads stay on for a cam swap. Mine is 212/218 duration, 112ICL, and a smidge over 500 lift. Can't comment on power and power curve until the tune is unfucked. I can't tell you just how AWFUL this Whipple garbage is especially sucking through a blower that isn't spun by the motor.Torque seems to swell around 3000 then falls off un an unnatural way.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From my extensive research the read disc swap is pretty straight forward. Weight savings too.

I basically got them for more reliable braking and ease of pad swap

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Heads stay on for a cam swap. Mine is 212/218 duration, 112ICL, and a smidge over 500 lift. Can't comment on power and power curve until the tune is unfucked. I can't tell you just how AWFUL this Whipple garbage is especially sucking through a blower that isn't spun by the motor.Torque seems to swell around 3000 then falls off un an unnatural way.

How fuckered is your tuning?? From everything I read on the 454 owner thread while I was searching for a cam anyone running a Whipple was more than happy with power, if I was building a strictly tow rig I would be looking into SC/TCs, big cams, long tubes and manuals; but as this is a lowly DD, it'll get simple power mods in form of headers, roller rockers, tune, exhaust, etc. etc. etc.,

I couldn't recommend one for that unfortunately, my cam search was limited to smooth idle and ability to tune to pass CA smog.

I've heard good things about 112 ICL, under 220 duration for torque.
More lift than .500 may be beneficial i think, though limited to valve clearance in how much.

I've learned these become a slippery slope real quick haha.
Leaking fuel injector turns into intake gasket, turns in to full on cam swap :D

While you have the heads off for the cam swap, don't forget to swap heads for aluminum. Best way to help your GVWR by cutting 300lbs off the engine :D

Oh I know how this goes, my truck needs fuel injectors, so I figured while my mechanic had it apart, might as well do lower intake gasket...then distributor and rotor.......and a coolant flush with a lower thermostat....also the reason I'm pricing out pretty much everything for my front end from bearings and brake rotors to bushings and balljoints and everything in between!

From my extensive research the read disc swap is pretty straight forward. Weight savings too.

I basically got them for more reliable braking and ease of pad swap

I guess I'll have to look into that, I was just gonna go with Raybestos DRW shoes as they'll fit in the SRW drums.