Bought a CC Dually 454 Whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Jones = Magnaflow. I have Magnaflow on the 1500, I'm sure it'd be even louder on a 454.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I don't think the Jones muffler on my truck is terribly loud, it'll drone around 1800-2000 RPM in the cab a little, and it screams like a banshee from 2200-3000. I do plan on adding an H-pipe when I delete the cats though, try and keep it mellowish. The Magnaflows on the dually are pretty mild, and my brother's straight piped Suburban is just loud all the time.

Are you going to run true dual or dual into single? Dual into single should keep it more mild than dual exhaust wouldn't it?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I like magnaflow personally.

For performance? Hands down. For listening to 600 miles 1 way with a trailer out back? No thanks.

On a side note, a thought occured to me today. I wish more of you lived closer with big blocks because I'd like you to compare my 1500 to how your big block pulls. I've gotten a bit more snap out of mine so far and it still doesn't match the torque of my 1500 locked in OD. I'm also far from done with my dually, but that's not really the point. Not all of you have tunes on your big blocks, a lot of you have automatics, and none of you have larger than stock throttle bodies. I've come to realize I'm basically trying to cram years and years of R&D on my 1500 into mere months on this big block. In the end this truck will be the big brother to the 1500, but for now it still sits in its shadow in terms of sheer gear holding ability and lack of desire to downshift. I think it's a testament to just how good the 350 can be with the right combination of mods.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For performance? Hands down. For listening to 600 miles 1 way with a trailer out back? No thanks.

On a side note, a thought occured to me today. I wish more of you lived closer with big blocks because I'd like you to compare my 1500 to how your big block pulls. I've gotten a bit more snap out of mine so far and it still doesn't match the torque of my 1500 locked in OD. I'm also far from done with my dually, but that's not really the point. Not all of you have tunes on your big blocks, a lot of you have automatics, and none of you have larger than stock throttle bodies. I've come to realize I'm basically trying to cram years and years of R&D on my 1500 into mere months on this big block. In the end this truck will be the big brother to the 1500, but for now it still sits in its shadow in terms of sheer gear holding ability and lack of desire to downshift. I think it's a testament to just how good the 350 can be with the right combination of mods.

I do have little bit larger body actually, but I think its only 80 mm. Is the 1500 into boost at all when pulling hills? The elevation is probably pretty tough on the 454 since its NA.

Maybe its just the weight of your truck, mine is a touch less since its not a dually 3500, but I almost never have to downshift on a hill as long as I'm at a cruising speed on above 60. Really, only if I am passing someone on a 2 lane highway uphill (and need to move quick) do I need to downshift. That also includes all the hills around rapid city, the big horns, and even the one time I took it to winter park. Point is, mine will do almost anything I ask it to in OD, locked.

Maybe its a combination of the torque increase from being a stroker and the lower weight? Also this is all empty just for reference, aside from some cargo and people.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No, that TB and tune is helping. My 1500 hits boost before downshifting and before it would peg atmospheric by 50 or 60% TP before a downshift. Even with a stock tune this engine would benefit massively from a larger TB. I've been chasing the tune to fix the lack of throttle response all this time and once I started to log I realized that, for this to give me the feel I'm after, I really need a bigger TB. The 80mm only gives something like a 14% increase

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An 85 mm would probably be worth doing, I think there might be an LS 85mm that will fit? It's been awhile since I've looked. Might as well do it sooner rather than later, so you don't have to go back and retune the VE and MAF.