Bought a CC Dually 454 Whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ha! Christian do you think you could snag a log of what I posted from your truck? I'd like to see how much of a difference that 80mm TB makes, if it's enough.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ha! Christian do you think you could snag a log of what I posted from your truck? I'd like to see how much of a difference that 80mm TB makes, if it's enough.

Sure thing, here are a couple from a few WOT pulls. I would need to search through my logs a bit more to find one that I run it all the way out to 4800 or 4900, but this should at least give you a pretty good idea of whats going on. It also makes it fairly evident to me that something is restricting me up top.
You must be registered for see images
Edit: Just realized the first one I posted goes to 4800
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
As long as they are cable driven and have the same bolt pattern, it should work. I don't know which ones do for sure, maybe @Supercharged111 does? Either way, a different TB needs to be adjusted for in the tune.

I have an LS1 TB to try out. Those are 78mm and have the same bolt pattern. I'm pretty sure the 99+ LS trucks were all DBW and I know the 8.1 was all DBW. Looks like stock can only be punched out to 78mm before the wall between the IAC cavity starts getting dangerously thin.

I know that 99-00 LS powered trucks were DBC. I believe that 01 is as well.
With the exception of the 8.1L, 99-02 was still a cable operated throttle body. 03+ switched to drive by wire.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately none of these stock TBs can be safely bored past 78mm. A DBW TB on the other hand appears to be able to be bored out to 85mm.

That's LS1 vs LM4 DBW. Christian your log confirms my suspicion. 80mm is a step in the right direction but not quite enough. I think 85mm would feel great, but I have yet to find one. 90mm seems the best bet, so I think I'll try one of those Fleabay specials and see what happens. They advertise a progressive linkage.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately none of these stock TBs can be safely bored past 78mm. A DBW TB on the other hand appears to be able to be bored out to 85mm.

That's LS1 vs LM4 DBW. Christian your log confirms my suspicion. 80mm is a step in the right direction but not quite enough. I think 85mm would feel great, but I have yet to find one. 90mm seems the best bet, so I think I'll try one of those Fleabay specials and see what happens. They advertise a progressive linkage.

I'm also thinking that the 90 is probably the way to go. Do the fleabay 90s accept the stock IAC and TPS, or do we have to figure something out with that?

Looks pretty universal, when looking at the DBC TB's?

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A stock LS1 TB will bolt up and plug and play, so just a matter of quality when it comes to whether or not an aftermarket 90mm LS1 TB is gonna fit or not.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I'll be damned, I was about to order up a 90mm with an adapter and progressive linkage when this beauty pops up! 85mm, linear linkage, and way cheaper than the BBK! I think this is the TB you should have bought the first time Christian.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-227726

That is what I should have bought. I'd feel more comfortable spending $150 on something from summit than $80 ebay stuff haha

I'm only seeing 92 and 102s available though? Not a big deal though.