Bolt on turbo kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poondart

Reaction score
'Specially considering that the Vortec heads are the BEST-flowing OEM small-block heads this side of the LT1 (and some folks think the Vortec heads are better than the LT1 heads.)

You are correct, I was mistaken about the vortec heads. Though they don’t even compare with something like stock 706 truck heads, the vortec are the best iron Chevy heads you can get. Still they are only able to support around 600-700hp at the flywheel before they become a restriction.

Poondart

Reaction score
CX Racing makes a kit for a SBC. Realistically, that's as close as anyone is going to get without price being an obstacle. Face it, looking for a "bolt on kit" for a relatively unpopular motor to turbo, in a relatively unpopular chassis to make fast is unlikely to be successful. Your motor is way more popular to turbo, but still few people swap them into OBS trucks, because, well, they already come in trucks. I get the "because I can" factor, but relatively unpopular mods are never gonna be a simple bolt on affair.

The only reason I said what I said is because the OP specifically asked about a “bolt on” kit. Which CX racing doesn’t sell.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "706" heads are for the LS-series engines.

The LS is a world-class design, but almost totally incompatible in terms of parts interchange with a "real" SBC.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only reason I said what I said is because the OP specifically asked about a “bolt on” kit. Which CX racing doesn’t sell.
SMH. Okay buddy, sure you're right, CX Racing doesn't sell a bolt on kit, whatever that is. Evidently nobody does... But instead of just saying "nobody makes what you want" I felt it would be more helpful to let the op know what was available that he could make work with a little bit of effort.

Madscientist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No one makes a bolt on it. You can run e85, just get the small tester and check what you are getting from the pump and tune it on the safe side. If your only going to run 5# or something similar, you are not going to run into any issues. higher psi and higher hp, yes! As far as not a good motor? Every motor is good for a turbo! Some just better than others. I have run turbos on many clapped out **** boxes with great success. Totally stock 305 with a cam and springs on 16lbs made 518hp. i have dyno sheets. Was trying to see what it was capable of and blow it up at the same time. More boost only made minimal gains. Put it in a burnout car. Never blew it up in 5 years of 1min+ WFO runs. Put the turbo on something else. If you dont have the know how or the ability to turbo it yourself, it will be spendy but will work great.