Axle clunk/axle bearing????? Need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Balsam12

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been pulling my hair out over this issue my 98 rcsb 2wd has. When I turn over a bump (reversing as well) I get the famous gm clunking sound right from the axle on both sides. If I shake the box side to side I can get the noise every time. I've checked the u bolts and made sure everything is tight. I've jacked up the truck and only have very little play on the tire when pulling and pushing axle in and out which is normal. I don't think it's a bearing because I get no noise when driving. Question is the problem I have is it normal. Seems a lot of ppl say it is. Is it common for the c clips to wear down and cause more travel in the axle? Truck only has 160000kms.

Thanks in advance

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
No.

But you can put the truck and stands and see if you can pull the axle in and out excessively with the brake drum removed.

Balsam12

Reaction score
Ok I'll try that with tires and drum off. How much play should I have ? If there is to much what would cause that ?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I have no idea what the spec is, my truck has maybe 1/8" and no clunks.

A few things in the diff could cause it, a bad carrier, bad bearings, screwed up Spider gears.