Clunking on deceleration?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None at all just the clunking when releasing the throttle like I’m going to coast or when I go to reverse. I had a slight vibration around 50 but that was because I put my driveshaft in the wrong way I flipped it and it went away.
So im curious as to why you're ripping half the powertrain apart for some minor clunking. If it bothers you that much then carry on. All my GM vehicles clunk and for the same reason - minor amt of built-in longitudinal slip yoke travel between the trans/t case and yoke.

Not saying yours is that but not saying it isn't either...

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So im curious as to why you're ripping half the powertrain apart for some minor clunking. If it bothers you that much then carry on. All my GM vehicles clunk and for the same reason - minor amt of built-in longitudinal slip yoke travel between the trans/t case and yoke.

I remember talking to a GM Service Tech many years ago and him saying there was something like 17 different clunks associated with drivetrain. My 98 did and my 96 does. I have learned to drive in a way that mostly avoids it.

Jason_Staggs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

It’s not really a minor issue though it’s extremely loud and makes my truck jerk when it does it. Also I don’t want something to happen and it break while I’m out driving somewhere. Been there done that absolutely hated it

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not really a minor issue though it’s extremely loud and makes my truck jerk when it does it. Also I don’t want something to happen and it break while I’m out driving somewhere. Been there done that absolutely hated it
Could be the trans-tcase mount coming apart. When someone says clunk, they're usually describing a minor, mild sound. Your problem sounds more like a loud bang. And if the truck is shaking/jerking that's not internal trans or tcase. Something is loose, coming apart, etc. Somethiny possibly structural...

Jason_Staggs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after 2 hours of trying to remove the transfer case I can definitely say I have other issues along with the noise. It’s acting like the two shafts are welded together I can spin the transfer case around the transmission but no amount of pulling, twisting, or banging is making it move. I need to do this anyway due to a severe oil leak from possibly the rear main
You must be registered for see images attach

Also you see that tiny hole under the starter where my slave cylinder is?(which I have no clue how it got there)
You must be registered for see images attach

I pulled this out of that tiny hole and have no clue what it is. Appears to be part of a bearing cage(?) so I gotta address that issue too. You go looking for trouble and you’ll find it, but I’d rather dump $20k in this truck than go buy a new one

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Driveline Clunk has long been part these trucks illustrious careers. I remember when my 98 Sierra was doing this with really low mileage back in 2000. I took it into dealership and they basically said nothing they could do, it was very common. Just Google GM Driveline Clunk. My current 96 K1500 will occasionally do it, but I’ve learned how to mostly avoid it. They did come out with a Nickel Plated Yoke that some had success with while others re-greased their yokes occasionally.

This had been happening to my 99 Suburban K1500 for a few months and always thought It was some loose bolts on my u-bolts, or maybe even the leaf springs to where my rear had some play coming to a stop or accelerating from a stop.. Come to find out, my u joints were bad and there was a bit of play in the yolk input shaft and transfer case output shaft.

My u-joints are all the same, not different sizes for the front or rear.

UJoints -

MOOG 235 U-joint​

What I ended up doing was purchasing the AC Delco heavy duty grease, and putting it in the yolk right before inserting it into the transfer case. problem solved.

This is the grease -

CDelco GM Original Equipment 10-4063 Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease - 1 lb​

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A clunk like this?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jason_Staggs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A clunk like this?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yes but WAY louder. Trans mount is good though it’s not coming apart like that though. Doesn’t really matter now because of the situation with my transmission and transfer case stuck together so I gotta get that sorted out before I go any further. I appreciate you showing me that too