Any reason this won't work for a 94 cluster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't get it twisted.. :D

88-91 is one generation in regards to the dash cluster. It has the wider connector with actual sockets/pins and the area the connector sits in for the cluster to push on, is relatively flat. The one standout here is the 91 cluster has a slightly different pinout so swapping 91 into 88-90 or 88-90 into 91 means you need to move some wires around in the harness. 88-91 are all moonies of course with exception of the semi-rare needle cluster that was also available in 91.

92-94 is the next gen...they have the raised standoff where the connector sits and it's a smaller connector with flat pins on it that push into "fingers" on a flexi-circuit stuck to the back of the cluster. Swap between these 3 years with ease; direct fit.

Lots of people have swapped the 92-94 cluster into an 88-91 dash and not had any real issues, but if it was my truck and I had both dashes handy I would make a template and carefully chop the plastic behind the cluster out and transplant it so the connector has a firm place to sit.

Richard
That's what I'm doing.. 94 dash to a 91. Didn't know of these complications when I got the 94 for a parts truck. But hey, for a z71 with a 350 and decent interior (and a bunch of other goodies) when my trucks dash is destroyed (literally) and a v6 (can't wait to do that motor swap), you don't do much looking in on a $300 truck

Welders can weld, and fitters can fit, but the porta-can-man knows his ****.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
azblacksheep in your case just bring everything over from the donor. No wiring nightmare, just move everything. Dash, cluster, engine, transmission, computer, harness...

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It would take a Christmas miracle for me to find anything like that. What type of vehicle do you think that came from? As you know, my stock one only goes to 80mph.
That's a 454SS cluster. Only came in the 454SS. And to be more specific, one that would work as a drop-in for your truck would be in the last 2 years of their production, 1992-1993, which also are the lowest number of 454SS's produced. So yeah they very much are a needle in a haystack.

Richard

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
azblacksheep in your case just bring everything over from the donor. No wiring nightmare, just move everything. Dash, cluster, engine, transmission, computer, harness...

Richard
Unfortunately the 96 doesn't have a cluster, amd it has some options I don't want on my 91 (I don't feel like doing the power door swap, mainly.)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately the 96 doesn't have a cluster, amd it has some options I don't want on my 91 (I don't feel like doing the power door swap, mainly.)

You said earlier it was a 94?

92-94 clusters are dime a dozen...for the regular 85mph ones, anyway.

Richard

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You said earlier it was a 94?

92-94 clusters are dime a dozen...for the regular 85mph ones, anyway.

Richard
I meant 94. Fat fingers.
I'm not overly keen on changing the plug either, not the whole harness.