Corrected title.... Original tachometer cluster in a 1991 K3500. Fuel gauge not working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's just evolution of the design. Of the "big three" Ford is probably the worst about parts compatibility across years. The 1988-1990 GMT400 clusters are very similar and in general, are drop-in replacements across those years. There's the difference of idiot light vs. actual gauges (requires different senders.)

Then in 1991 the pinout changed in the connector but the connector style itself and the design of the cluster LOOKS the same, but it isn't. SOME 1991 trucks got the tach cluster with needle gauges. You can swap moonies and needles in a 1991 - with clusters from another 1991. If the cluster came from a 1988-1990, you have to move those wires around in the connector for it to work. Hope that clears it up.

And then what I said about the speedometer.. since all three years of that cluster design have the calibration done on-board in the cluster. It's not difficult, just somewhat less straightforward of a modification like the DRAC module used on 1992-1995 trucks. On those years the calibration is done in that external DRAC module so the clusters (at least 1992-1994) are direct swaps with few exceptions. (Gas vs. diesel, and V8 vs. V6)

Richard

Dajain

Reaction score
I've been gone for 5 days and the cluster was in my UPS box when I got home. 2245 miles in 5 days and still had energy to put the cluster in. haha

Thanks for all the replies but I've been doing this long enough to know one thing, and this includes ALL vehicle manufacturers.
Don't assume a plug and play electrical part will work another year.

The one I bought, the ad said it was the same year of my truck.
Asked if the VIN was available from the parts truck and put it into my NAPA ProLink and the vin did come up as a 1991 also.

I put it in, even hooked up the shift indicator and plugged it in. Fuel gauge works beautifully.

Motor is not quite ready to fire up, but if she doesn't fire, I'll check the coil first. ;)
But being the same year, I can't foresee any issued which were mentioned about the 3 wire difference of other years.

Dajain

Reaction score
It's just evolution of the design. Of the "big three" Ford is probably the worst about parts compatibility across years. The 1988-1990 GMT400 clusters are very similar and in general, are drop-in replacements across those years. There's the difference of idiot light vs. actual gauges (requires different senders.)

Then in 1991 the pinout changed in the connector but the connector style itself and the design of the cluster LOOKS the same, but it isn't. SOME 1991 trucks got the tach cluster with needle gauges. You can swap moonies and needles in a 1991 - with clusters from another 1991. If the cluster came from a 1988-1990, you have to move those wires around in the connector for it to work. Hope that clears it up.

And then what I said about the speedometer.. since all three years of that cluster design have the calibration done on-board in the cluster. It's not difficult, just somewhat less straightforward of a modification like the DRAC module used on 1992-1995 trucks. On those years the calibration is done in that external DRAC module so the clusters (at least 1992-1994) are direct swaps with few exceptions. (Gas vs. diesel, and V8 vs. V6)

Richard
I'm fine using a GPS for a speedometer. My other truck is off and use the GPS for that one also.

Fuel gauge is different though. If I leave my town, the next nearest gas station is 55 miles away (nearest Walmart is 120 miles, haha) and this is why my focus is on the fuel gauge working.

I'm not restoring this vehicle but rather putting it back into service. :)

ChevyPilot

Reaction score
88-94 the PRNDL is a simple mechanism operated by a cord that attaches around the shifter bowl of the column. Most common issue is the clip on the column has popped off or someone broke the cord while carelessly pulling the cluster out.

Richard
On my 1990, the PRNDL was jammed solid inside the cluster. Someone broke the shift bowl (the rotating plastic thing on the column, I think), which is connected to the PRNDL cable, to put it in gear. The cluster overhaul repaired the PRNDL mechanism, and the shift bowl seems to stay connected so far.

Dajain

Reaction score
On my 1990, the PRNDL was jammed solid inside the cluster. Someone broke the shift bowl (the rotating plastic thing on the column, I think), which is connected to the PRNDL cable, to put it in gear. The cluster overhaul repaired the PRNDL mechanism, and the shift bowl seems to stay connected so far.
This one is hooked up and moves with the shifter, BUT, it's way off the proper marks. lol
I'll look into that later. ;)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This one is hooked up and moves with the shifter, BUT, it's way off the proper marks. lol
I'll look into that later. ;)
Easy fix. Engine off, flat ground, set parking brake. Shift to OD since that's where you'll most always spend your time. Move cable clip on the column until the pointer lines up correctly. Then as you cycle it through the other gears you'll notice it will very likely match up with those. Trying to line it up with P is a fool's errand as there's the big gap between that and R.

Richard

Dajain

Reaction score
Easy fix. Engine off, flat ground, set parking brake. Shift to OD since that's where you'll most always spend your time. Move cable clip on the column until the pointer lines up correctly. Then as you cycle it through the other gears you'll notice it will very likely match up with those. Trying to line it up with P is a fool's errand as there's the big gap between that and R.

Richard
I figured the adjustment was on the column and would be pretty easy. Didn't think about putting it in OD for the adjustment but that makes perfect sense. Thanks for that tip.

Slowly getting this thing ready to be on the road again. :)
Now that the fuel gauge is done and fixed.... There are a few more repairs. But springtime does look achievable for the old girl. :)