Another odd 1/2ton 3/4ton suspension mix question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kraig

Reaction score
Forgive me for having to many trucks in the yard and to many ideas of what I want to do. I already asked my question in a separate thread about softening up my 97 3/4ton burb suspension for forestry roads knowing it will cost me towing capacity.

HOWEVER I also have a second 1992 K2500 Truck (extended cab long bed, 350 auto) that is in not great shape. I was thinking about buying a 1994 K1500 Blazer that's in very nice condition but has a blown up tranny. So my thought is why don't I just swap in my rebuilt 350 with the low mile the 4L80E and transfer case from the K2500 into the K1500 Blazer AND while I'm at it bring across my 4.56 geared 8 lug axles and put them into the K1500 Blazer too?

The question being is it smarter to just take the existing K2500 frame and shorten it to fit the Blazer on top OR is it easier to just bolt on all of the 3/4 ton front suspension parts onto the Blazer? (assuming I can just bring across the upper & lower arms, hubs, diff, rotors, calipers, etc while keeping the the 1/2 ton torsion bars on the Blazer) I'm also assuming I can unbolt the front diff from the K2500 and put it in place of the smaller one in the K1500 Blazer?)

I found this thread: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/3-4-ton-swap.28513/ that says it is easier to just sell a 1/2 ton and buy a 3/4 ton...however they never made a 3/4 ton Blazer that I know of.

AND this thread:

The rear is as easy as swapping the axle out.. front is another story. There's no direct-swap rotor, so you'd have to change the spindle. The spindle won't attach to the lighter duty upper ball joint so you'd have to re-drill the control arm for a different ball joint.. or change out the upper control arm with one from an 8 lug truck. (It will bolt right in.)

Seems to make me think as long as I bring everything from the K2500 across, it will bolt on to the K1500 Blazer.

What say you guys who have messed with this stuff?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s that simple.
Yeah, towards the middle/rear the frames are very different pickup vs. SUV.

The other plan is a tough one too as I don't think the 2500 front differential fits the 1500 frame? I'm not a 4x4 guy so I'm going based off memory of other people's posts, so I don't know what the issue here may be.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're not going to get 8-lug upper control arms to fit a 6-lug frame without rework.

6-lug left, 8-lug right.
You must be registered for see images attach

There's a lot of work needed to put the 8-lug differential (9.25" ring gear) into a 6-lug chassis (8.25" ring gear.)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You're not going to get 8-lug upper control arms to fit a 6-lug frame without rework.

6-lug left, 8-lug right.
You must be registered for see images attach
This I was unaware of, and that'll be the difference between 2WD and 4WD. On the 2WD stuff the control arms swap between 1500-2500LD-2500-3500. All the same spacing. Upper ball joint on the heavier stuff is different to be sure.

There's a lot of work needed to put the 8-lug differential (9.25" ring gear) into a 6-lug chassis (8.25" ring gear.)
That's what I recall hearing, except I thought it just flat out didn't work.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d put the time/money into the K2500, if the frame and drivetrain are good.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I recall hearing, except I thought it just flat out didn't work.
For practical purposes, it doesn't. But--proving that anything can be bolted to anything, if there's enough time, money, effort, and enthusiasm:
www.gmt400.com/threads/k1500-8-25-to-9-25-swap.56989/

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For practical purposes, it doesn't. But--proving that anything can be bolted to anything, if there's enough time, money, effort, and enthusiasm:
www.gmt400.com/threads/k1500-8-25-to-9-25-swap.56989/

There have been a few threads on it but people get knee deep in and disappear. Don't recall anyone saying they actually finished it, The diff is different, the cv's are different lengths than 1500 stuff, more to the fitment than just getting the diff housing mounted even if keeping the 1500 suspension gear.

Last edited:

Kraig

Reaction score
Man, you guys are awesome. My google foo isn't very good on this stuff. Give me a programming language to look and I'm good. I've got to read up on those posts and then decide what I want to do. It might end up being super simple since the guy with the Blazer has ghosted me now. Either way I want to research what is involved because I have the K2500 with a good frame, driveline, & parts BUT off road an extended cab long bed just sucks! IF I were a smart man & I'm not saying I will be & My wife will attest that being smart doesn't happen all that often for me...then I would just finish up my 97 Suburban 4x4 (already lifted with 35s & a 454 in it) and soften up the suspension in it for off road / hunting THEN leave my K2500 as is and put it back together to use for towing and the such. Maybe just swap the diffs between those two so I have the 4.56 gearing in the off road vehicle with over sized tires & the 4.11 gearing for the on-road. I just really like the 454 for towing vs. the 350 that's in my K2500 pickup. The smart man would just say its all good enough, get it on the road as is and find out there isn't that much difference. I don't off-road very hard anyway. Update coming soon.