3/4 ton shocks on 1/2 ton 96 yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Is that the factory specifications or a brand of shock, or all shock specifications. " Almost 1 inch" . Look at this way , if you choose the shock from the K2500 , 8600+ , you will get a shock with valving for higher load factor. Meaning it will have more resistance to cyclic movement as it has valving based on much higher load capacity. Whereas the the K15 Tahoe, with the K15 shock has valve geometry for the K15.
Do you have a problem with shock extension on the whoop de doos at the track or jumping school buses? How often do you get full shock extension? On the rotary frame lift?
Almost one inch, 3/4, 13/16, 31/32, 63/64 ?
If it was 2 ", or 2.25 " , then I might rethink the plan.
I believe your best choice is the quality, basic versus high end gas damping, premium brand. Rather than the shock for a heavier vehicle.
But hey it's your money get what your happy with.:cool:
When I was looking at shocks for my firewood truck, I dove into the tech info on Rockauto being curious at the different p/n's for front shocks for the K2500, based on GVW. The AC Delco, Gabriel, Monroe, Rancho 5000's and KYB all had different p/n's based on the GVW, and the 8200 GVW ( my truck, the 6 lug 3/4 ton) the shocks had an 1" more of travel compared to the higher GVW trucks. Since the OP was asking about any differences between the 1/2T and 3/4T, I wanted him to know that there are differences between the 3/4 t trucks.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When I was looking at shocks for my firewood truck, I dove into the tech info on Rockauto being curious at the different p/n's for front shocks for the K2500, based on GVW. The AC Delco, Gabriel, Monroe, Rancho 5000's and KYB all had different p/n's based on the GVW, and the 8200 GVW ( my truck, the 6 lug 3/4 ton) the shocks had an 1" more of travel compared to the higher GVW trucks. Since the OP was asking about any differences between the 1/2T and 3/4T, I wanted him to know that there are differences between the 3/4 t trucks.

Depends on the brand. That's not the case with the Bilsteins. Who knows what GM did. It would make sense to me that they're different, the spring and torsion bar rates are different as is the weight of a big block or diesel vs a 350 or a wimpy V6.