AM92's 98 K1500 "Elsie" Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Ok, so I looked at the brakes on the axle I bought today and I want to do a rebuild...what all do I need? Shoes, hardware kit (one spring was just laying in there so I know I want to replace those), wheel cylinders (one is leaking I'm pretty sure because when I took the drum off it was full of gunk and grime). Do I need an adjuster kit or are those usually ok?
This kit has both adjusters kits and hardware http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...k=Search_01271_1303669_710&pt=01271&ppt=C0064 but if I dont need the adjusters I'll just get the harware kit

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adjusters are known to stick, if its not that much more I'd just replace it all so you don't have to worry about it.

But I tend to get carried away with the while I'm there's.....

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Ok, so I looked at the brakes on the axle I bought today and I want to do a rebuild...what all do I need? Shoes, hardware kit (one spring was just laying in there so I know I want to replace those), wheel cylinders (one is leaking I'm pretty sure because when I took the drum off it was full of gunk and grime). Do I need an adjuster kit or are those usually ok?
This kit has both adjusters kits and hardware http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...k=Search_01271_1303669_710&pt=01271&ppt=C0064 but if I dont need the adjusters I'll just get the harware kit

id get new shoes, wheel cylinders, resurface the drums, hardware kit and outer axle seals. and if your adjusters are fine then don't worry about them unless there not that much.

And ill give you $350 for that 10 bolt, if you bring it to me. :naughty:

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Ok, I'll just get everything so i won't have to worry about it...its tempting to bring you the 10 bolt, but I'd probably spend about $200 in gas to get there and back :nono:

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
speaking of rear brake rebuilds, dose any one know of a retrofit kit for disc brakes in the rear for the 6 lug 4x4's? i know people do it all the time for the 5 lug 2wd obs's but i havnt found mutch on a retro fit for the 4x4's :(

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Ok, I'll just get everything so i won't have to worry about it...its tempting to bring you the 10 bolt, but I'd probably spend about $200 in gas to get there and back :nono:

well that'll be $150 more than you have now!! haha

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Ok, what driveshaft is this? Its one peice, but it doesn't look like aluminum to me. I just need to know what u-joint it has so that I can find the right conversion joint for the 14 bolt
Thanks yall!
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Ok, well I went out and looked at it again and this time I found a sticker on it. Its a Dana/Spicer steel 1 pc driveshaft, part no 921518-6116. Had a manufacer date of March 25 1998 on it too! So I did some research and found a Spicer catalog that told me it takes a 1330 u-joint. So basically its the same as the 1 pc aluminum except its steel, so I need the Precision 448 conversion joint. Whew!