Affordable Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have decided against the JBA headers. Anyone know of a coated LT header that fits GMT400?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think, Patriot is who makes the headers for Summit racing. So Summit headers, are Patriot headers, but I'm not 100 percent on that. I have looked at both online, and they look the same.

Reaction score
I have decided against the JBA headers. Anyone know of a coated LT header that fits GMT400?
Just my experience on 2 different GMT 400 trucks both with 5.7 liter TBI motors. I have put Flowtech shorty headers on both. The '88 C1500 has the el cheapo painted Flowtech shorty headers and the '95 K2500 has the Flowtech Ceramic coated shorty headers. The ones on the '88 have been there without a problem for 8 years which is why I chose Flowtech recently for the '95. Seat of the pants on both says the improvement is felt at low rpm through cruising speed on a freeway. My motors do not see much need for high rpm, and I suspect that this is true for most folks.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just my experience on 2 different GMT 400 trucks both with 5.7 liter TBI motors. I have put Flowtech shorty headers on both. The '88 C1500 has the el cheapo painted Flowtech shorty headers and the '95 K2500 has the Flowtech Ceramic coated shorty headers. The ones on the '88 have been there without a problem for 8 years which is why I chose Flowtech recently for the '95. Seat of the pants on both says the improvement is felt at low rpm through cruising speed on a freeway. My motors do not see much need for high rpm, and I suspect that this is true for most folks.

No doubt there are gains with shorty headers. Never said there were not. Hovever long tubes and a properly sized exhaust system behind them with a either a merge Y or X will give even better results than sticking with the horrible exhaust designs GM stuck on the 1500 trucks.

Take the test done on the 5.3 for example. Long tubes with an exhaust system change provided better power across the whole powerband compared to shorties and a catback. The 5.3 has MUCH better flowing cats and Y-pipe setup from than any small block had save for the 8600 GVW trucks 2.75" dual system and Vortec 350 vans 3" dual system. The long tube headers/dual system with X-pipe was consistently 4-10 ft/lbs higher from the start of the pull to 4,500 and starting around 4,500 rpm the gains just increased.

Exactly what I said many posts ago.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/129-0910-gibson-short-vs-stainless-long-headers/

My brothers 99 LT1 cammed suburban woke up throughout the whole powerband when we put hooker 1 5/8" primary long tubes and dual 2 1/4 exhaust with a X-pipe on it after the thunderbolt cats with magnaflow magnapack race mufflers behind the X. I had to add 10-15% to the volumetric efficiency tables in the PCM from that one change alone. Mileage improved when you could keep your foot out of the thing. Sounded like a Nascar at full throttle. That and it was fun to beat some sports cars out of the light with the family truckster.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Hooker makes one. Was not impressed with the quality of them but they did seal up great using OEM Vortec exhaust gaskets. The flanges were thinner than I would have liked coming from Thorleys on everything. Still better flanges than Flowtech though. I used steel headers and wrapped them to keep the heat out of the engine compartment and help keep the exhaust velocity high which helps scavenging.

JBA also makes a full length T409 stainless header. They will lightly surface rust but as I mention ZERO issues with their shorties on my 4.7 Dakota in the past 7 years. I had to change the gaskets once but that is only because I pulled the engine after breaking a valve spring and munching an intake valve.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jba-6830s

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think, Patriot is who makes the headers for Summit racing. So Summit headers, are Patriot headers, but I'm not 100 percent on that. I have looked at both online, and they look the same.

The Summit shorties used to be Flowtech. That was 10 years ago though. I had a set for a GMT400 on my 1980 C10.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Summit shorties are reboxed Pacesetters. I just ordered and received a set. They were in a big Summit box with the Pacesetter box inside that.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Summit shorties are reboxed Pacesetters. I just ordered and received a set. They were in a big Summit box with the Pacesetter box inside that.

Good to know and very well possible 10 years later.. I am sure they use whoever gives them the best deal when the go and place a large order for them.